Topic: Opera Lies About Popularity Status

I know that software companies lie about how popular they are in order to draw in new customers, but its mostly done by skewing statistics and twisting the truth.

But I wouldn't think that a reputable company such as Opera would go and tell the blatent lie that they've been telling.

I mean - come on!

Re: Opera Lies About Popularity Status

If lying is the only way to get users away from Internet Explorer than so be it.

Fire Fusion wrote:

If lying is the only way to get users away from Internet Explorer than so be it.

Fight FUD with FUD, eh?

I think that accusation about Opera lying is a bit thin. I've worked in many print shops, web shops (currently employed as a web developer). What probably happened was they set up a graphic ready for when they assumed they would win, and when they lost, they told the guy to use the other graphic. He screwed up and put up that on instead... It got resolved later.

That's just my view of what may have happened. It's all to common that I forget to actually export the new image from Photoshop before I upload. I'll have uploaded the old version again. wink

If you read the entire article, you would see that they also made numerous press-releases and other official statements regarding this over the past couple days.

What's funny is that the press release that I link to in my blog entry have already been changed. Not even 3 hors ago it read "A Winning Streak: Opera once again wins PC World's World Class Award for best Web browser". Now it reads  "Opera 8 is a PC World 2005 World Class Award Winner".

Hmmm....Not just a graphics screwup. They have also posted about it in their official blog and forums around the internet.

What World Class Award? hmm

Funny how nobody even bother to mention all the FUD that the Firefox camp have been spreading for a very long time now. Taking credit for inventing features that Opera have had for ages.

Also, if anyone bothered to read those PC world awards, they was rather vague about who the actual winners of the different categories were...

CodeXP wrote:

Taking credit for inventing features that Opera have had for ages.

First of all, even if they were to do so, that is not FUD. The deal that Firefox has is it is up against Internet Explorer, not necessarily Opera. Why make this distinction? Because Firefox is free, as in Beer, Freedom and PunBB. They're marketing toward getting people who use IE exclusively to make the switch. Now, I don't claim that it is a perfect browser, but I do believe in my opinion that Firefox is generally superior. You have your opinion, I have mine. What I spread is not FUD. FUD = Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. I'm advocating a product that has made my life better (hell, I'm a web developer) and I wish that upon everyone else.

Thank you.

i hate opera, 50% because i have to have it installed to test stuff on and it just looks like a mess and 50% because it doesn't support XML and XSL so i can't really reall make my 1337 completely XML site since opera is too big a set of people to ignore completely

9 (edited by scottywz 2005-06-20 18:52)

I tried Opera earlier (not recently) and liked it for a little while, but later I didn't like it (I don't remember why). Now, they're being stupid to say they got the PC World World Class Award. What World Class Award?

But I do like the built-in e-mail....

vBulletin for the forums? Why? hmm

they did get a world class award, as the 80-somethingth program of 2005

and vbulletin isn't a bad forum, it might not be what you want, but imo if you run a big site and you want all the fancy stuff then vbulletin isn't bad

I just prefer PunBB. smile

scottywz wrote:

I just prefer PunBB. smile

I think that's the general consensus of the people here wink

And why would someone use Opera for free when it has banner ads if they could get Firefox that doesn't have any banner ads on it for free? It's just a personal preference.... smile

I'm sure Opera is a great browser, but as long as they insist on throwing banners in my face, it's simply not an option.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."