Topic: Google mod

hey there should be a mod so if the forum is only been allowed to be viewed by the members so when google comes to index the forum . the forum should automatically allow google to index. this can be done through ip i guess

Re: Google mod

Erm, what would the point of that be? If people can just pick up copies of threads via Google's cache, then why keep it so you need to register to view? A mod could be written, obviously, but this doesn't seem like a very good feature, and not a very useful one for most people

Or you could just set your user agent to match that of the GoogleBot and you would be allowed in.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

How do i do that rickard

Well, you can fake your user agent in Opera in the settings. I'm sure there's an extension for Firefox as well.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

well you could do it by IP couldn't you? (although i guess that could be a serious performance hit to look up every guest IP)

You do that anyway for the login table tongue
I can't see a performance hit in doing that wink

no because you have to actually lookup the IP to see if it resolves to google (unless they have a list of IPs?)

Well, you would input an IP range I assume and check the user's IP against that