1 (edited by Photics 2005-08-15 22:24)

Topic: punRPG?

I'm just throwing the idea out there... what if punBB had an RPG Game mod?

I added Guild Wars: rogueBATTLE to my website and it more than doubled my traffic. I imagine the same would happen for punBB's popularity... or most any punBB game forum... if there was a punRPG mod.

Now... I can't code my way out of a wet paper bag... but I do know of some coders at my website. I'm also not too bad at making graphics. I was kicking around the idea of an open source project. Instead of starting from scratch... why not just intergrate something into punBB? I think a punRPG project should have to have the same philosophy as punBB... streamlined... no bloat...

Oh... and no refreshing...

I hate web games that are constantly refreshing...

Tick...
Tick...
Tick...

Anyway... what do you think? Should I start up a punRPG project?
Rickard Andersson... do you give the green light on this one?

Michael Garofalo
Webmaster - Photics.com

Re: punRPG?

i thought about it, since i think it would be well recieved on mypunbb with all the runescape forums... however its alot of work, i was thinking of basing it on RPG+ for phpbb, could be good at least for ideas

Is RPG+ open source?

Michael Garofalo
Webmaster - Photics.com

yeh, http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=159467

It was OK, but wow... what a crazy long install. yikes

I've been trying to think of a more creative way to handle online RPGs, while still using PHP & MySQL. It seems a lot of them are based on dueling other members in the community. Now while that can be fun... I don't know... I think cooperative play is important too. But how do you do that without getting the program to balloon up?

If anything, tonights little script exploration has taught me is that there are A LOT of mods for phpBB... but that I still like punBB better. Anyway... I don't know what you're going to do Connarhd. Although, it is good to see you're thinking about it too... as that pun Doku Wiki mod you did was great work.

Heh... I don't even know what I'm going to do. I'll probably go back to working on my php text adventure for now. Yet, I'm going to be thinking about this... as I think punRPG is a great idea... but it a big BIG project. A clear design vision is needed... and I don't have that... at least not yet. I think that's what this bulletin board system needs next... games. Maybe it's because I like games that I see the importance, but it is an incredible hook.

In rogueBATTLE... there is a simplistic forum... but it is more popular than my main punBB forum, simply because it's intergrated into the game.

Michael Garofalo
Webmaster - Photics.com