Re: Simplify CSS

I'm just experimenting. I just wanted to see if I could do something tableles which was as easy to read as a table, was source ordered and made more sense on a narrow format screen. Rod's layout could have been adapted to do the same thing.

The real problem with 1.3 and the main reason for the delay is WCAG Checkpoint 13.1 which basically says you can't use the same link text for links which point to different locations. Let me crack that one and then think about xml purity though at the moment html tidy is not only showing everything validating but is not showing any warnings either which is a good sign.

Paul wrote:

And for something more traditional
http://www.post21.co.uk/files/ttalt.html

A bit heavy on the css side but see how it degrades without the stylesheet.

It does degrade beautifully without the stylesheet. I can imagine it would look very nice in lynx/links.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Very impressive !!!

DO IT PAUL and RICKARD ... and I think you will be the first forum where people can design their forum with their vision ...

HAPPY TO SEE this smile

With your experimental layout, it's quite easy to see it would be interesting to redesign the viewtopic.php

with #id, we can imagine use the same markup, but change the layout ... the SMALL CSS is near ! smile

30 (edited by badrad 2005-08-30 20:01)

Paul wrote:

The real problem with 1.3 and the main reason for the delay is WCAG Checkpoint 13.1 which basically says you can't use the same link text for links which point to different locations.

Yuck, that one is a pain in the ass. Just look at this page, there are multiple "E-mail", "Website", and "Quote" links that lead to different places.

Yet how are you supposed to fix that? Sure, the "E-mail" link could easily be changed to "E-mail User X", but what about "Quote"? "Quote post 50571"?

Honestly, personally with that guideline I do my best to reach it (in fact, I think on my site that has the forum the forum is the only part that doesn't), but don't sweat it if there are a few things that don't.

OFFTOPIC: If you've noticed that you can scroll the Google ads on these forums by a few pixels in Firefox, I have a pretty good fix for it. It would be especially easy on this forum because of the white background (simply use CSS to give the iframe the full height it really is, 65px), although I wouldn't complain if you checked out the rest of my fix, as your a CSS God and the fix isn't working 100% in Opera yet.

badrad wrote:

OFFTOPIC: If you've noticed that you can scroll the Google ads on these forums by a few pixels in Firefox, I have a pretty good fix for it. It would be especially easy on this forum because of the white background (simply use CSS to give the iframe the full height it really is, 65px), although I wouldn't complain if you checked out the rest of my fix, as your a CSS God and the fix isn't working 100% in Opera yet.

I'm lazy, so I just increased the ad height from 90 to 95 smile

Edit: 96 actually.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Cool, glad I could help.

badrad wrote:
Paul wrote:

The real problem with 1.3 and the main reason for the delay is WCAG Checkpoint 13.1 which basically says you can't use the same link text for links which point to different locations.

Yuck, that one is a pain in the ass. Just look at this page, there are multiple "E-mail", "Website", and "Quote" links that lead to different places.

Hey Paul, on this subject, check this out:

http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/more-links/

Essentially using a span and some CSS you could have a link that said "Email User X" but hide everything but "Email". Looks the same to visual users, screenreaders get the full useful link.

Wouldnt that help satisfy 13.1?

badrad: thanks but thats the standard solution and the one I'm already using. Its working out what to put in the hidden portions which is the problem particularly when trying to use whats already available.

Related to this. Does anybody actualy use the topic pages on viewforum e.g.

Topic blah blah blah [1, 2]

I either hit the topic to go to the first post or hit last post. I can't think I've ever used those links to jump to a particular page in a thread.

35 (edited by badrad 2005-08-31 20:04)

Paul wrote:

badrad: thanks but thats the standard solution and the one I'm already using. Its working out what to put in the hidden portions which is the problem particularly when trying to use whats already available.

Ok, cool. It was new to me though so I thought I'd point it out. Sounds like you got it under control.

Paul wrote:

Actually, I do smile Although I guess I could just as easily hit last post.

Paul wrote:

Topic blah blah blah [1, 2]

I either hit the topic to go to the first post or hit last post. I can't think I've ever used those links to jump to a particular page in a thread.

sorry, but ... people on my site use it smile

but we can imagine a system show/hide layer (dhtml ? block / none displaying ?) ...

I think PunBB is in advance, and I like Paul you don't stay on your ground : you experiment, and that's why Pun is really different of all other boards. Go on !!!

smile

I'm continuing ...

http://www.sortons.net/agenda/ > my model site.
I have finished to transform my nucleus index > http://www.sortons.net/nucleus/
and with your code Paul, I would like to show my MAIN forum with the same system of box smile
http://www.sortons.net/forum/

However I need your help on http://www.sortons.net/nucleus/
under IE, scroll at the bottom : I have a portion of code of a box outside ... don't understand why
under FF, when I'm passing mouse on links, the first box clips ...