Re: README: About feature requests

just add the PM mod?

there is a PM mod, and there is form email

Oh, didn't know there was one! Are there many mods?

a bunch ... http://www.punres.org/browse.php?show=projects

Awesome! I love mods!
But...when you upgrade PunBB, does it replace the files? Will you have to re-mod them?

Yes.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Yes.

Any chance upgrades can be like mods, telling you what to add and replace/add below?

they can be if you use the hdiff when upgrading ... easy interface, that shows where new rows are and where you replace, and where to remove rows ... it's really easy to upgrade through it smile

Frank H wrote:

they can be if you use the hdiff when upgrading ... easy interface, that shows where new rows are and where you replace, and where to remove rows ... it's really easy to upgrade through it smile

Hdiff?

http://punbb.org/download/hdiff/

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I wanted a package that
(...)
- was easy to administrate and moderate.

It would be much more easy to moderate if you could split a topic. The mod i've found for that does this, http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=47 , do not work on 1.2.6 as far as i understand. Then there is this one: http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=541 that might have this feature, but i'm not sure. Even if it does there seems to be some problems with it judging from what's said in that topic.

Arvid: http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=541 does have that feature afaik

Yeah, but i can't get it to work properly. It changes the dates of the posts so they end up in all the wrong order..

I see .tpl files representing the different modes of operation, but would it be possible to have a head.tpl and foot.tpl that simply represent the "<div id="brdtitle" class="inbox">" and "<div id="brdfooter" class="block">" sections of the markup? I'm totally cool with designing on CSS, but I'd like to have a common header and footer across several portions of my site; something a little more graphically involved than what's possible with the markup available. (I understand that I could do it dumping stuff on top of main.tpl, and then display:none-ing the default header, but that's a bit of a hack... )

just put your header in main.tpl and remove the stuff you don't want from the current one? you don't need to display: none anything do you?

Connorhd wrote:

just put your header in main.tpl and remove the stuff you don't want from the current one? you don't need to display: none anything do you?

Ah, apparently I'm blind.

I had misunderstood the layout of main.tpl. Yes, I can see how to do it now, thanks. (and sorry for the bonehead question...)

hyapadi wrote:

Urgh... i hate mods! Modules is still ok, but mods? No thx....
It makes the upgrade process really painful.
Am I right? :<

I used updated to PunBB 1.2.10, and realised that I needed to make my Easy BB Mod work again with the post.php page. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the mod, and had to download and install it again, basically wrecking my code even more. Now, I have removed all of the forum files, cleared the database out, and then reinstalled the forum without any mods. Much easier! wink

tigermatt wrote:
hyapadi wrote:

Urgh... i hate mods! Modules is still ok, but mods? No thx....
It makes the upgrade process really painful.
Am I right? :<

I used updated to PunBB 1.2.10, and realised that I needed to make my Easy BB Mod work again with the post.php page. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the mod, and had to download and install it again, basically wrecking my code even more. Now, I have removed all of the forum files, cleared the database out, and then reinstalled the forum without any mods. Much easier! wink

Agreed big_smile, I one from starting from stratch as well

Just downloaded the mod "Private Messaging System (PMS)" and read the installation doc. 23 steps. Open this and change that. Its not difficult but it is a hassle. Specialle if you got several forums. Changed from phpbb to punbb becouse of the leaner style but i am actually thinking of chanhing back just becouse of the private message being there from start. But being from Sweden and want to support our swedish open source community i would prefer to stick with punbb so my question is how much donations it would take for the author of punbb to develop (or import and maintain) a proper private messaging system?
$$$ or $$$$$$$? wink

I don't think you're going to be able to bribe Rickard tongue
That being said, the extension system in 1.3 will mean that installing a PM system should be as easy as uploading a folder and clicking a button smile

We can try, cant we? I would probably personally be a le to spend 50USD for that. And i guess that at least 50 more persons could donate at least 1 dollar each. Damn. I would code one myself and donate it to the project for free if i had the time.

iXam wrote:

We can try, cant we? I would probably personally be a le to spend 50USD for that. And i guess that at least 50 more persons could donate at least 1 dollar each. Damn. I would code one myself and donate it to the project for free if i had the time.

It'll be a 1 click install for PunBB 1.3 which is more than good enough.

But if you want to donate $50 anyway to thank Rickard for coding such a great system, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to accept your money tongue

and you get your name on a list plus a cool new title like mine. big_smile

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Rickard wrote:

I'll start by pasting the text from the about page:

The idea of PunBB was first born when I wanted to install a discussion board to a website I was tinkering with. I looked around quite a lot, but all the boards I found were either "over-featured" or too graphic for the purpose they would be filling. I wanted a package that

- was fast.
- had a simple layout and design.
- was easy to administrate and moderate.
- didn't output huge, non-valid, HTML pages.
- had source code you could read and understand.

I looked and I looked, but it was nowhere to be found. Thus, I started working on PunBB, or just Pun as it was called back then.

Developing software to "please the masses" isn't difficult. Just cram in every possible feature you can think of and most people will love it. Some people, however, will hate it and look for alternatives. The problem with developing for that other group of people is having to make decisions on whether to implement a feature or not. What is a "must-have" and what is not? Some features that I have so far chosen not to implement are: private messaging, file attachments in posts, definable user groups, polls, post preview, linking to off-site avatars, advanced text formatting controls, subforums etc etc. Some of these features might still get implemented, just not in the near future.

What I was trying to communicate when I wrote that was that the whole idea behind PunBB was to create a forum that didn't have all the fancy features like avatar gallery, post icons, polls, private messaging etc.

I am fully aware of the fact I am therefore aiming PunBB at much smaller "market" than, say Invision Board or phpBB are doing. PunBB is for the people who are tired of "the feature race" and just want a fast and simple forum. Also, please note that I have no intentions of ever making any money off PunBB. If I make any money as a result of me creating PunBB, it will be in the form of salary if/when I get a job as a software developer smile

So, please bear this in mind when you make feature requests. If it isn't an absolute "must-have", I will most likely say no. However, me saying no to a feature request in no way stops someone from creating a mod for that particular feature. Mods are good! We like mods smile

Yeah - thats exactly the reason i decided to pick your forum software - stick to it ;-)

Greetz Uli