Re: Announcing: PunMod beta v0.9.2

I think I'll continue with this when PunRes 3.1 is finished.

Up !!! smile

This mod must survive smile

53 (edited by GregK 2005-06-24 16:54)

I hadn't stumbled across this one yet, sure sounds sweet!

I've had this idea, for a minimalist CMS for PUN stuck in my head lately, think i'm doomed to create it now lol
This sure would be a slick way to install & update it, as well as all the other mods out there.

I agree w/Rod smile

any takers yet?

Jansson was taking a look at it, but he wants to finish the new PunRez first ... any news, Jansson?

Ask; if i have 2 mod replacing the same line in same source code the second cancel the first, is that true?

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

zaher: no - that just won't work .. by the time you try to replace the line the second time, it will have already been replaced by the first one - you'll get an error message.

I haven't been able to take a deep look into this yet. I have been really busy with school and now I've got to work for a few weeks. I will try to look into this as soon as I can.

Ok I've actually got time working on this. Still in planning stage but atleast there's some progress smile

59 (edited by Tobi 2005-07-10 13:25)

Errm....
I had an idea for something :
Wouldn't it be great to have a central "Mod-on-demand" System?

It would function like this:
You have the basic punBB install and now you want to add 3 mods to it.
However, you have no clue or no time to add all these mods by hand. Plus, after the first one probably the line numbers in the readme files of the other mods are not correct anymore so you spend a day searching... it's a hassle, even if you know how to mod.

instead, you enter the mod-on-demand-site where you will find some checkboxes that allow you to add this, that and the other mod to a base punBB.

Click on "Give it to me" and then the system will generate it for you and make it a downloadable file.
Now you can install this modded version and you're ready to go.
Best thing is:
If you decide you don't want mod #3 anymore but mod #5, #6 and #7 instead you just get a fresh pack with these mods installed.
This system can base on the PunMod I guess.

As I mentioned at the beginnig: I am not sure if this is realistic, I don't know how easy this can be implemented but if somebody thinks this is useful I'd like to help with it.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Thats what the PunMod system will do except that you dont need to fetch a whole new forum package everytime you want a mod smile

Yes, you are right.

The reason why I thought about a centralised system though:

If you run  PunMod  on your machine it must run under the apache useraccount which means all files have to be writable by the webserver, or it has to run as a shell program.

The first is no option when it comes to security on a live system, the latter leaves out everybody who PunMod is designed for wink, or am I wrong there?

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

62 (edited by Arvid 2005-09-02 10:43)

Is this project put on ice?

If so, that would be a real shame.. I'd love this one for 1.2.6

No, I'm working on it.

Is Amazing smile
This is that the comunity need.

[img]http://www.chemicalfusion.net/jords/eddieb.jpg[/img]

Hopefully it'll be able to be released along with 1.3.

Its going to be made rather obsolete (not totally but alot) in 1.3 since 1.3 has extensions

Connorhd wrote:

Its going to be made rather obsolete (not totally but alot) in 1.3 since 1.3 has extensions

Yeah. I stopped working on this since the extensions announcement.

oh, sounds cool ... so these extensions, will enable you to change/add anything? it's a patching system then?

or just a limited plugin architecture like most other forum systems have?

Its limited to the pre defined hooks, there will still be modifications that need files to be edited.

that's what I thought ... don't really see how it's supposed to make a patching tool obsolete, then...

Rickard says all the major mods will be supported by the extension system, and it's pretty much those that are a pain to install. I think it's just a hassle to have a plugin to make small changes.

But I don't know. Anyway, the patch tool is working but in beta stage. Looks like we'll have to wait for the extension tool to see how it works.

up

Whats the point in that? If you had a question ask it, this project is discontinued anyway see this thread http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8977