Topic: PunBB.de

hacked?

it's just me...

Re: PunBB.de

that's sad.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

But ... How is hacked? Possible exploit?

it's just me...

i guess they weren't running 1.2.5

They were running version 1.2.2 in fact. For some reason, you could access the administration panel by directly typing the URL, even as a guest. roll

Right now, PunBB.de is redirecting to the site of its owners. I wonder what's going to happen now.

I've e-mailed them twice about the security problems, but I guess they just don't care. I'll remove them from the list for now.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

they obviously want to use the page for personal advantage like traffic, pagerank and so on. dont you have rights for the mark "punbb"? then you could force them to hand out the domain tongue

or you may make official urls like de.punbb.org

That's just the thing. I do not want "official" websites that aren't run by myself and/or the people I know closely from my work with PunBB (i.e. the moderators, some of the frequent bug reporters etc.).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

If you don't want that you'll have to register punBB as a brand which is AFAIK  money- and time consuming.
Let alone that it wouldn't give you total security.
Or you ask punBB users around the world to register domains in their respective tld as a donation and make you the owner. That would give you some security. I believe php did that at least partly.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

punbb.de redirects to punbb.org now. maybe they build a new website for german punbb users smile