Topic: Change install_mod's version check

Instead of the array, and having to update a mod whenever a new version comes out, how about something like this:
If the minor version is different from every element of the array, (ie: it says 1.2.5 but you have 1.2.7) you just get a warning that it may not work properly. This is good, especially since Rickard almost never changes database structure in between versions.
If the major version is different (ie: the array says 1.1.5 but you have 1.2) then you get the error that you currently get.
That way, people who make mods that need install_mod.php don't need to update the mod every time a new version of PunBB comes out unless they want to get rid of the warning, or if it somehow doesn't work.

Re: Change install_mod's version check

An excellent idea. I will have a look at it right away.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

If this is implemented, mod authors should start putting notices under the supported versions part of the readme telling users that it may work in versions other than the ones specified. I for one get a bit annoyed hearing people asking for mods to be "upgraded."

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Done.

http://punbb.org/download/mdk-1.2.1.zip

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

And now all mods that use it just have to be updated tongue

Yeah

the wiki mod already does that, partly because i had to add aload of other checks to it.