Topic: Paid mods (yeh that got your attention didn't it)

Ok, heres the basics, i'm lazy, and i want some mods made for mypunbb, so i've decided to see what response i would get if i offered some money for people to make me mods. Heres how it will work, i will give out the specs for mods, you will make the mod(s) you want, you can release the mod as yours under GPL (as punbb requires afaik). Then if i am satified that you have met the spec i gave and that its up to a standard that i am happy with (i'm happy for you to work on these a bit at a time and add more until its got all that i request), i'll pay you the amount of money specified (via paypal). I also require these mods to be written in a similar style to punbb with a proper installer, readme, language files, database setup.

I'm also happy to discuss prices, and the spec, think of this as an opportunity to make a punbb mod and make a little bit of cash at the same time smile I'm not trying to pay someone to code i'm trying to make the coding a bit more interesting tongue

Ok heres the first mod, its got quite a few parts so i have split it up a bit, the idea being you only need to install the parts you want.
First off,

Cash mod - $20
Basically this allows users to gain cash by posting and is the basis of the next couple of mods and hopefully other mods in the future

Features:
* Donate (give cash to other users)
* (Negative cash e.g. debit?)

Optional Features
* Lottery (some kind of system of buying a ticket and possibly winning money, not sure if it should just be a probability thing or if it should be they win the "pot" at the end of the week)
* Bank (users can put in money for a specified interest rate(/loan money with a maximum loan?))

Admin Settings:
* Name of cash (so points, gold, etc could be used)
* Amounts of cash per reply, new topic, show amount of cash in topic (next to posts) (both a default setting and a per forum setting for both).
* Admins can edit amount of cash in users profile

This mod also needs a little developer faq telling other developers the database structure (like the punbb docs), so other mods can be based on it.

Shop/Item mod - $30
Requires the cash mod, adds the ability for users to "hold" items and subsequently have a shop

Features:
* Users can have items, items have attributes that can be used by other mods (some kind of serialized array?) this will have to allow them to have practically any number of properties.
* View items in profile (items have name and sometimes an image)
* special items (no idea how this can be done, but stuff like override a certain forums permissions with an item, override title permissions with an item) these should probably be released as an extra section of "Minimods" that can be added since they will require edits to alsorts of files.
* items have name, description, image and attributes
* shops have name and description
* shops can be open/closed
* people can buy from a shop and sell to a shop
* donate items to other users
* If you want to add more you could make it so people can open their own shop, and/or make an auction but this is entirely optional wink (if you really want to do this i might consider adding a bonus $10 to the price)

Admin Settings:
* Create/edit/delete shops
  ~ shop can be open or closed (an on/off button plus an opening times button (use server timezone so people can't cheat it))
  ~ shop needs to have items added with a buy and a sell price (and a number of each item)
  ~ shop permissions (per usergroup)
* Create/edit/delete items (this should be a different plugin so that it can be changed by future mods
  ~ items have name, description, image and attributes
* max items per user (per usergroup)

RPG mod - $50

This is basically the reason for all of this, the idea of this is to add an RPG character to the user, create an rpg section for the forum, let users battle monsters and each other. (if you want an example of the kind of thing i want look http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=159467).

I will add details of this if anyone wants to make these mods.

------------------

I would prefer if 1 person made all the mods (for a nice $100 i might add wink) but if no one offers to then i am happy for 1 person to make each part or whatever, but they need to be made in order whatever happens.

on another note, if anyone comes up with a good idea for a mod that i would want to use on mypunbb (it has to be of reasonable size not just a little hack) i may pay for that as well.

------------------

More Mods

Arcade Mod - $30

This is a mod that allows users to play flash games and gives out awards, keeps highscore tables etc. I'm leaving it pretty open ended as i don't have any specific ideas for it. But basically it needs to use the games from another arcade mod for phpbb, IPB, vbulletin as long as the games are free to download. If not then i guess the games will need to be made to work with this.

If you want to make this Please contact me before doing it

Downloads Mod and Links Mod - $40

Ok this is 2 mods but i've stuck them together since they will use a very similar format. I know there are a few upload/download mods for punbb but i want a decent one that works as i want it to.

Features:
* Both mods copy the punbb forum style, with categorys and forums within them
* the forums within have downloads/links posted instead of topics
* You can reply to these in the form of comments.
* Downloads can link to either another sites page, remotely hosted files, locally hosted files, or files can be uploaded through it (thats why this mod has quite a large price wink)
* links simply have title, description and the link.
* There are full permissions for the "forums" for both downloads an links (per usergroup, read downloads, download downloads, post download, upload file, post reply and for links view links, post link and post comment)
* The links and downloads need to count views, clicks and comments

Admin Logs Mod - $15 - Complete

I think Mediator has made this mod but not released it, but anyway...

Features:
* Logs all admin and moderator actions (includes editing profiles but i don't think editing/deleting posts is really needed)
* Has a log viewing plugin
* Optional automatic pruning of log table (or file but i think database storage  would be better).

HTML Pages Mod - $15

This will be most useful for mypunbb, but someone might still make it, it simply needs a php file page.php or whatever that can load html pages from the database e.g. page.php?page=faq for a FAQ page, users can then add links to these pages through the additional menu items settings. The main part of this is the html page generator. I want it to have a plain html editor (a nice WYSIWYG would be awesome) plus a "wizard" to generate a page which you could add "boxes" to, each box would have a title and content box and would be punbb style boxes e.g.
<div class="block>
<h2>......etc

So you can edit/delete existing pages, view them through page.php, or create new pages via the wizard or via a plain html editor.

2 (edited by Photics 2005-09-06 20:59)

Re: Paid mods (yeh that got your attention didn't it)

Is Rickard Andersson cool with this idea?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea... I'm just saying... is he cool with it? big_smile

Michael Garofalo
Webmaster - Photics.com

I dunno i haven't asked him, i didn't think it would be a problem.

I'm up to writting the cash mod, as I told you in IRC.
I'll stay up as late as I can, and should be able to get a working mod in a few days..

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Gary13579 wrote:

I'll stay up as late as I can, and should be able to get a working mod in a few days..

Wooo hooo... RPG MOD... oh wait... you said Cash mod lol

How does a cash mod work? How can you actually pay people for posting? Where does the money come from?

Sure, epinions.com pays you for writing a review... but it's like such a tiny amount smile

Would this be like the same thing? hmm

Michael Garofalo
Webmaster - Photics.com

lol, $$ does amazing stuff tongue remember when you are sleeping you are not modding tongue

Photics wrote:
Gary13579 wrote:

Wooo hooo... RPG MOD... oh wait... you said Cash mod lol

How does a cash mod work? How can you actually pay people for posting? Where does the money come from?

Sure, epinions.com pays you for writing a review... but it's like such a tiny amount smile

Would this be like the same thing? hmm

no its not real cash, the user gets points for posting basically, the mod itself has little real use and it is for building other mods from (like the shop mod and rpg mod)

the cash mod is the first step to the rpg mod, i tried to split it up since the rpg mod is a HUGE project

It's more like fake money, but it can be used for things like my free hosting (http://post4hosting.com/) or sites that pay you to post (http://cashposting.com/).

Indocron

Whether a mod author gets paid for writing a mod is none of my business. Go ahead.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Connorhd wrote:

no its not real cash, the user gets points for posting basically, the mod itself has little real use and it is for building other mods from (like the shop mod and rpg mod)

Oh... I see... so get like 10,000 and you can buy like a site T-Shirt or something? smile

A friend of mine is explaining it to me. It seems very cool smile

You're doing a great thing for the punBB community Connorhd smile

Michael Garofalo
Webmaster - Photics.com

Rickard wrote:

Whether a mod author gets paid for writing a mod is none of my business. Go ahead.

smile i didn't see how it could be a problem, i'm not asking for the mods to be sold one they are made or for the mods to be for me only, i'm really just trying to get some mods out that i want to make a bit faster smile
In the end i don't lose money since i'm going to use these mods to make money from mypunbb. So in the end no one loses.

Photics wrote:

Oh... I see... so get like 10,000 and you can buy like a site T-Shirt or something? smile

A friend of mine is explaining it to me. It seems very cool smile

well if you wanted, or with the next mod on the list (the shop mod) you can buy fake items which could be like access to change your title or access to visit a forum.

Or combining the cash, shop and rpg mod you could buy stuff like daggers, swords, armor, to battle with.

If you are going to make a shop mod, please wait for me to release my cash mod, it will make things easier for us all wink

Indocron

Thank god I am a lazy bum or I might just pull and all nighter and write the others...and then release them all at once wink

I enjoy pie :)

lol, just wait till gary has done the cash mod then do the shop mod and then i'll put up the spec for the RPG mod tongue

btw i will probably have some more paid mods once these are finished. (a download mod and a links mod maybe).

I've added another $100 worth of mods. Hope some people are interested smile

A Cash Mod does sound nifty, and could easily get user participation.

Has there been any progress on this at all?

Connerhd, will you share? smile

Gary13579 is working on it right now (he better be anyway tongue)

Die, lets keep this topic local...some of us need $$$ wink but have to wait on a certain slow gary ;P

Just so noone else tries to move in on my biscuit...

Right now I am working on:
Mod                     | Completion
Admin Logging      | 90% (All cosmetic stuff left)
Download/Links    | 20%

What I plan on doing:
Shop Mod
RPG Mod
*Maybe* Arcade Mod

What I might but prolly wont do:
HTML Pages Mod (Browser based html editors scare me wink )

So k,thx,bye

You know for the html pages thing someone could just easily intergrate http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/example_fu … ample=true

The rest of the work to be done is pretty simple, 'cept maybe the wizard.

I would do it but I've no will to (money isn't an incentive) and besides that I'm busy with my own software. Maybe in the future tho....

i was thinking i might forget the wizard for the html editor, maybe just make it so when you create a new page it uses a template

Admin Logs Complete:

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8868

Mediator wrote:

Download/Links    | 20%

I like the sound of both of them... Will keep my eye out in the future...

I was going to bodge it myself... but wink

RPG is being started. IT will take a good 2 months to get most of it done. My main plan is to take the existing phpbb software, and change it so it look and feel like punbb, but has all the features connorhd wants.

Go Canada! - No matter what, except when Stephen Harper is Prime Minster!
NHL is back, GO TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS! even if they lose...
[Firefox Rules!] - [Amazing Race] - [My Site!]

Speechless wrote:

RPG is being started. IT will take a good 2 months to get most of it done. My main plan is to take the existing phpbb software, and change it so it look and feel like punbb, but has all the features connorhd wants.

eerrrm, It needs the cash mod and shop mod to function neither of which have been released, Gary is working on the cash mod, and how do you know what i want as i didn't specify what i wanted yet tongue

well i am doing them all at once, i guess. Unless people can do that job for me.....
you gave me a linl. I guess i am going to have to base it along that line. Unless you want to email me all the specific features you want.

Here is some i will have to do no mather what you say:
- a private message (Connorhd already made that mode so i guess i can take it and modify it)
- a html pagemaker, where you can post all your storys (ex geeklog, they have a place for that)
- multi forum on the same website. (i have some ideas of doing this, but i am not sure i woud finish qucikly enought so, don't expect it on the first release)
- i a going to have a feature, deathmatch, mulitmatch(they can be in a team or not and create teams), team deathmatch(players are force to join a team) (don't expect me to have this done by beta)

Go Canada! - No matter what, except when Stephen Harper is Prime Minster!
NHL is back, GO TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS! even if they lose...
[Firefox Rules!] - [Amazing Race] - [My Site!]