Topic: Notepad plugin?

Hi all ...

I posted this originally on the Programming forum, because i was searching for a web/browser based notepad of sorts.

Then a lightbulb went off, and I thought this might do well as a PunBB plugin. smile

I would like to implement something very secure, and have the ability to store notes [via browser cookie?], so that users can store snippets of code on the fly while visiting our forum.

While just a straight windoid/panel would be ok, multiple clip storage would be excellent.

Would this warrant as a PunBB plugin?

i have no idea if this is even doable, or what would be the best means to implement it.  I guess cookies would work for the storage, and keeping them maintained, and perhaps since it's a plugin, this would be tied to a users id? [shrug]

Could one of you terrific plugin developers write something like this?  smile)

Thanks for any input, or suggestions, or willingness to write one -

Re: Notepad plugin?

Plugins are for admin/mod use wink

Smartys wrote:

Plugins are for admin/mod use wink

I understand, just wondering if it's possible to make it work as a plugin architecture.

My initial thoughts were to capture the user id, so that only members could make use of the notepad itself.

Assuming a plugin isn't practical, do you have any suggestions for a browser based Notepad as i'm describing?

Thanks for your help.  smile

Wait, so are you asking for something anyone in your forum can use? Or just something admins/mods can use?

The 'notepad' part would be for everyone to use.  The plugin would only be for admins to administer it, assuming there was a requirement for it.

In the end, 1) I'm just wondering if a plugin is even practical/necessary for something like this, and 2) does anyone know of a good php browser based Notepad that already exists, that is easy to implement.

In the grand scheme of things, the reason I inquired about a plugin to begin with is so that we could tap the inerds of punBB [to capture members id's].  This would relegate the Notepad itself so that only members could use the Notepad feature once they have registered.  the notepad would be disabled to Guests.

So would everyone have their own little notes they can write down, or would you all be using one thing and everyone can add/delete everything in it and read everything in it (I'm assuming the first)

Everyone have their own little notes they can write down.  I suspect this would require a cookie to be set for those who made use of it.

It would be nice if they could have multiple notes, similar to quasy folders, or "containers" [links?], which would store individual clippings/snippets.  When a user clicked on the folder/container/link it would give them their particular snippet.

Ideally, in one, compact windoid.

ok, first of all whats the point?
secondly, there is no need for a cookie, you can just use punbbs current cookie combined with the database
also, what is a "quasy folder" or a "windoid"

Connorhd wrote:

Are you questioning the reasoning/significance of the Notepad itself?

Connorhd wrote:

secondly, there is no need for a cookie, you can just use punbbs current cookie combined with the database

Ok, good enough then.  That is not something I had thought of.

Connorhd wrote:

also, what is a "quasy folder" or a "windoid"

Quasy folder is just a way to describe the ability to save more than one snippet.  If there is no such capability, then the user is going to have one long, hugmongus thread of snippets, which would defeat the NotePads purpose/usefulness.

A windoid is a javascript popup window, whose state is such that it will aways stay in front focus of the parent browser, or "floats", until it is physically dismissed wth a close button, or close link of some kind.

Raybo wrote:
Connorhd wrote:

Are you questioning the reasoning/significance of the Notepad itself?

Yes, it seems a very odd feature for a forum.

Connorhd wrote:

Yes, it seems a very odd feature for a forum.

heh smile

That's a matter of opinion, right?  I'm not debating whether it should be a plugin or not.  On the other hand, the value of such depends on the kind of forum you offer for your members.

In our case, it is a scripting related forum, so members are always cultivating code snippets here and there.  Therefore the usefullness of a browser based notepad is potentially warranted.

So, my original query remains.  Regardless if implemented as a MOD, Plugin or otherwise, does anyone know of such a browser based Notepad?  And if not, what would it take to build one and integrate it into PunBB directly?

Thanks for your consideration.

well i can tell you straight away it could not be a plugin, plugins are for admins and mods.

But what i meant really was if a user wanted a notepad wouldn't a program be better than a mod for punbb?

IMHO is was all about options for the members.  If a browser based notepad is made available for them, chances are they would use it. [if it's implemented right]

Yes, I know plugins are for Admins - the plugin itself would only provide the means to manage such a Notepad, if any, or required.  I just hadn't gotten that far in the scope of things yet.  smile

Regardless, if implemented as a Mod, I can see the value; you would have captured the users id, as well as members cookie, although you might not be able to use it in this instance [the cookies would potentially need to be different]; In the case of the Notepad, you would be using the cookie to check the members id, and number of snippets they had, and where they were stored, and so on.  I'm only speculatiing here but that is what comes to mind.

In the end, it's not a matter of whether a Notepad is useful for you, or not.  It depends on the forum it's suited for. Just because someone built a Mod for uploading images doesn't make it necessary for you to implement it into your own forum - that depends if in your judgement you have a need for it, or your members would find it useful.

In our case, we have a ton of folks who are writing/posting a ton of scripts.  That is why I felt a notepad would be useful for them in the first place.

My original query was first to see if anyone had used a browser based NotePad of any kind [javascript or php or a hybrid], and if they would oblige by pointing me to a good one.  I haven't been able to find anything doing a net search.

14 (edited by Blueorb 2005-10-24 17:42)

This would be a lot easier if you do it with a DB. Brower cookies? Nah...

I'll try to make something similar to what you're talking about.

"I'm only speculatiing here but that is what comes to mind."

Sure, it  didn't matter to me how it was implemented.  Whatever was the best way.

I haven't even found any takers, so I figured this post was dead anyway.  smile

I actually did something of the sorts for a website I helped someone with using PunBB. It was a User Notes section that was found in the users profile, and they could add snippets of text to it. Useful for keeping notes, or just personalizing your profile with images and text.