Topic: Shouldn't deleting a post decrease the user's post count by one?

Shouldn't deleting a post decrease the user's post count by one?

Re: Shouldn't deleting a post decrease the user's post count by one?

No, the post count is reffering to how many posts the user has made. Not how many there is in the database.

3 (edited by badrad 2005-09-24 23:25)

Jansson wrote:

No, the post count is reffering to how many posts the user has made. Not how many there is in the database.

But if they make a post, and I delete it, for all intensive purposes they haven't made it.

I don't see why deleting a post shouldn't update the poust count. I think everyone probably expects the post count to reflect how many posts the user actually has on the forums. Find me someone who wants the current behavior.

Would be easy to, just update the post count of the user when deleting the post.

badrad wrote:

But if they make a post, and I delete it, for all intensive purposes they haven't made it.

No, for all intents and purposes they made a post that you deleted tongue
There are plenty of reasons to delete posts, and not all of them (or even a majority) would be situations where you want post count to reflect the actual number of posts made. A good example for your side would be spam, but a good example for my side would be pruning old posts, or a user who deletes a whole thread (since they're the first poster), or a piece of data that was posted but that was deleted because it became out of date.

Well, I definitely didn't think of those reasons (esp. pruning old posts).

Perhaps a "update post count" check box (available only to moderators+) then upon deleting a post? Or is that adding unneeded complexity?

It is, especially for when they delete a whole thread tongue

Alright, forget it then, I concede. I hadn't thought of those particular scenarios. Thanks for enlightening me Smartys!

don't listen to that guy, he's lying to you

evil... he's pure freakin evil

*hides Pie back in his box*
Sorry folks, no idea how he got out tongue