Topic: 1.3 teaser

I've been working on the extension system for 1.3 these last few nights and I'm liking it so much, I just have to share:

http://punbb.org/stuff/extdemo/

The extension being installed in the video is of course just something I put together for fun smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: 1.3 teaser

the punbb project is truely the future in forums smile

im glad i switched along time ago.

</end mac talk> hahahah

-gezz

wow!!
very nice! punbb combines what all the other forums are seeking for

when will punbb 1.3 be released?
only a few days or will it be a month or more to wait?

the first rule of punbb club is you do not ask when the next version will be released.
the second rule of punbb club is you do not ask when the next version will be released.
the third rule of punbb club is you DO NOT ask when the next version will be released.

tongue

5 (edited by j2k4b 2005-10-22 20:05)

In case you forget rules 1, 2, and 3 just remember DO NOT ask when the next version will be released. smile

I love the teaser... Thanks for sharing!

Must...have...v1.3!

Can't wait to play around with it, 'cause that extension system sure looks sweet smile

It should be noted that this is not some new magic I've invented. It's a pretty straight-forward hooks based plugin system. Similar systems are used in many applications that need extendability like this. vBulletin 3.something has an implementation somewhat similar to this one.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

What XP style are You using?
I like it wink

Nevethir wrote:

What XP style are You using?
I like it wink

Luna Element 4.

Rickard,

Do extensions go further than plugins?

IE, where can these extensions hook into?

the idea is extensions will replace all the major mods, there will be hooks throughout the code.

Connor, that's indeed good news.

I can see many uses for such hooks in the code base.

I'm considering renaming what we today call plugins and call them "Admin add-ins" or something like that. The term plugins is misleading since they don't really "plug into" anything.

Rickard wrote:

The term plugins is misleading since they don't really "plug into" anything.

I was thinking along the same lines but didn't know if you wanted to change things.

I would consider plugins what you refer to as extensions now cause they plugin to the running code.

On a side note, or why I dislike Windows:

Decided to try out the Luna Element 4 theme, I just use the classic theme in XP. Downloaded it, ran the exe and installed it. Fired up Display Properties, selected it and everything went black except some icons. I spent the last hour trying to get my user account back to the classic theme. Thankfully I kept the Owner account around and created a new account for myself when I got this new laptop, so I kept switching users to determine what keys to hit in the darkness.

Oh how I miss plain /etc text config files wink

Rickard wrote:

I'm considering renaming what we today call plugins and call them "Admin add-ins" or something like that. The term plugins is misleading since they don't really "plug into" anything.

Call them "Admin Pun-ins".... Ha Ha Ha! I crack myself up.

hcgtv wrote:

I was thinking along the same lines but didn't know if you wanted to change things.

I would consider plugins what you refer to as extensions now cause they plugin to the running code.

But then people might confuse them with what we today call plugins. I went with extensions because that's what people are used to with e.g. Firefox.

hcgtv wrote:

On a side note, or why I dislike Windows:

Decided to try out the Luna Element 4 theme, I just use the classic theme in XP. Downloaded it, ran the exe and installed it. Fired up Display Properties, selected it and everything went black except some icons. I spent the last hour trying to get my user account back to the classic theme. Thankfully I kept the Owner account around and created a new account for myself when I got this new laptop, so I kept switching users to determine what keys to hit in the darkness.

Oh how I miss plain /etc text config files wink

The problem is that Windows doesn't like you to install styles that aren't "signed" by them. In order to use third party themes, you have to patch a dll. You can use UXTheme Multi-Patcher.

very impressive smile

Rickard wrote:

The problem is that Windows doesn't like you to install styles that aren't "signed" by them.

Now you tell me smile

I'll just stick with the classic theme, dull but it works for me.

Very nice indeed. Very very nice. 'can't wait.

So, you will have LOTS of hooks around the place?

Does that mean that my personal customisations can be gathered together into an extension, and when i need to upgrade I can just take the standard install and apply "my extension", and the upgrade is done?

MathsIsFun wrote:

So, you will have LOTS of hooks around the place?

Depends on what you mean with "LOTS". I honestly don't know how many will be required, but I can imagine it will land somewhere between 100 and 200. We'll see. Where to place the hooks will be the difficult part of the implementation. I plan on downloading the top 10 mods for PunBB and going through them, making sure they would be possible to implement as extensions. I will also ask you guys to help me out in finding locations that I might have missed.

MathsIsFun wrote:

Does that mean that my personal customisations can be gathered together into an extension, and when i need to upgrade I can just take the standard install and apply "my extension", and the upgrade is done?

Yes. You won't even have to "re-apply" your extension. Just upgrade your PunBB scripts. Sure, there might be the odd compability break, but in most cases, it will work without a hitch. There are also limits to what is possible with these extensions, but I will do my best to add as much flexibility as possible without having a hook on ever other line in the source smile

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!

I wonder if/when we should start leveling you with feedback...?

For now - congratulations and thanks - I think this is going to be great for the punbb community.

Wow.

These hooks that I saw in the XML file - is this a line of code or so that the extensions expects to find in the source ?
Would that not cause trouble on systems that already have other extensions installed?

If not it looks like the solution to the nightmares of those with a few mods installed.... smile

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

In select locations throughout the source, PunBB calls get_hook(hook name) and then eval()'s the code.

Connorhd wrote:

the first rule of punbb club is you do not ask when the next version will be released.
the second rule of punbb club is you do not ask when the next version will be released.
the third rule of punbb club is you DO NOT ask when the next version will be released.

tongue

very funny hahahaha

i just wanted to know if its released in a few days, month or years.