Re: What is planned for PunBB 1.3 then?

The subject is "What is planned for PunBB 1.3 then?", not "Post your feature requests here!".

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Raybo: Like I said to you before, I wrote a plugin for you to do just that: and I wasn't the only one tongue

I'm curious about the multiple styles thing. One thing I really like about PunBB is that everything is based on the same markup, so if I add a mod, and change the html in on place, I won't have to update the markup in each theme I have installed. Will it still be possible to have multiple themes that only differ by stylesheets, and still share the same html? Because if not, it would make me cry.

The only other icky spot I see, is how extensions will fit into the multiple sets of tpl files. While the nifty extensions (looks great, btw), might alleviate some of the need for updating the html in multiple themes, it could also become a problem if the extension always inserts a specific block of html code, and that doesn't really fly with a certain theme. But I have no clue what I'm talking about, since I don't know how things are really fitting together right now. I think I still prefer the idea of keeping markup sexy and uniform, and leave the themeing up to the style sheets, but that's just my uninformed opinion.

Hard work may not kill you, but why take chances?

GUI: Yes, of course. The per-style template files will be optional. If you don't supply the style with a custom set, it will use the default (what we have now).

I'm not sure what you mean by the second paragraph though. Why would an extension output different markup depending on the style/template set?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Maybe he is thinking that an extension could actually add something to the templates in which case it would have to add the same thing to all the templates including the custom ones.

Rickard wrote:

- "Translatable" admin interface

I spent few hours on translating it into Polish.
Now is 5.45 (AM!), and I still don't have all.
Maybe I should do this by $lang_something table and then posting new translation will be easier?
But I don't know how exactly you want to do a translation in the admin interface.

I've got one more question (cennected with translation)
Why you don't use <?= $something ?> insted of <?php echo $something ?>

The translation will mean another language file like all the other pages,

I think php can be configured in a way that <?= $something ?> will not work/cause problems, not sure on that though.

eddy81 wrote:

Please put the Private messages and the poll in smile it cost me always 2 days to put that in well smile

i also find the poll option essential and putting it into every update makes me not only nervous (about losing all posts or messing somehting up) but takes a lot of extra time

- is there a reason why the poll option is not included (it seems one of the few must features to help stimulate discussions and getting registered)?

I would rather keep the layout simple as it is - no extra features for the styles.

Rickard wrote:

The subject is "What is planned for PunBB 1.3 then?", not "Post your feature requests here!".

Just because you find (enter whatever mod you want here) essential does not mean other people will, and anyway all the major mods will be supported by Extensions in 1.3 which means no files will require editing.

sero wrote:

I spent few hours on translating it into Polish.
Now is 5.45 (AM!), and I still don't have all.
Maybe I should do this by $lang_something table and then posting new translation will be easier?
But I don't know how exactly you want to do a translation in the admin interface.

Most of the work is already done by Paul, so you really don't have to bother.

sero wrote:

Why you don't use <?= $something ?> insted of <?php echo $something ?>

Like ConnorHd pointed out, it does not work on some server setups.

exito100 wrote:

i also find the poll option essential and putting it into every update makes me not only nervous (about losing all posts or messing somehting up) but takes a lot of extra time

Relax. Live I've said before, 1.3 will come with an extension system.

Somebody asked about the tpl file

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

<html lang="<pun_lang>" dir="<pun_content_direction>">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<pun_char_encoding>" />
<pun_head>
</head>
<body>

<div id="pun<pun_page>" class="punwrap">
<div id="punisolate">
<div id="pb" class="pun">

<div id="pbhead" class="pun-s2">
    <div class="box">
        <pun_title>
        <pun_desc>
    </div>
</div>

<div id="pbintro" class="pun-s2">
<h2><pun_intro_hd></h2>
    <pun_navlinks>
    <pun_status>
    <pun_announcement>
</div>

<pun_main>

<pun_footer>

</div>
</div>
</div>

</body>
</html>

If anybody wants to know what the div #punisolate does, its there to try and prevent PunBB from intereferring with an existing page layout which uses floats.

One thing i do like about the seperate templates is that a theme author could add his copyright notice and url onto the theme. At the moment there is no way of crediting an author without requesting a link in the footer, and alot of people ignore that...

I have a few styles i want to release but seems pointless at the moment if i'm not going to get any credit for them.

Rickard wrote:

Well, here's a list of a few things you can expect in 1.3:
[...]
- New topic read marking
- Post moderation (maybe user moderation)

New topic read marking - Does this mean topics will be marked as read when read instead of the way it works now?

Post moderation - Sounds good, but i'm not sure what to expect from this. Will it be possible to split and merge topics for instance?

New topic read marking - Yes

Post moderation - Means posts will have to be checked by a moderator before they are seen by users

Ofcourse that's what it means. I Should have skipped those last few pints at the pub yesterday smile

Thanks

just add PM and poll systems to the core, please

1.3 sounds good so far, looking forward to getting my grubby little amateur paws all over it and messing up my board lol.

mariacallas.org wrote:

just add PM and poll systems to the core, please

Rickard wrote:

And as has been said many times now, extensions will allow polls/PM to be installed much more easily

Paul wrote:

Maybe he is thinking that an extension could actually add something to the templates in which case it would have to add the same thing to all the templates including the custom ones.

Yeah, I think something like that. Again, I'm not really sure how it will all fit together, but you seem to be saying that things like PMs could be handled through extensions. It seems like the extension would have to include a template file of some sort for displaying the lists and messages themselves. But let's say that you have one theme installed that handles list display using tables, and one that displays lists using divs. If the PM extension displays things using tables, and the user is using the divs-based theme, then it seems like the PM system would show up completely unstyled.

GUI: PunBB isn't moving to a templating system. All the custom templates means is that people will be able to take a copy of main.tpl etc and add a few divs to it e.g. for displaying graphic boxes or moving existing stuff around. They could also do something like have one style for guests which includes ads in the template and one for members which doesn't. Extensions wouldn't need to include a template as I assume any markup would be inserted in the php files via some kind of hook which acts as an include. People will be expected to write the markup for their extensions as per vanilla PunBB, if they don't then I expect their extensions will not be very popular.

Oh, oh, oh... My bad. Sounds cool. smile

Paul wrote:

GUI: PunBB isn't moving to a templating system. All the custom templates means is that people will be able to take a copy of main.tpl etc and add a few divs to it e.g. for displaying graphic boxes or moving existing stuff around.

Am i reading this wrong or does this mean a seperate main.tpl for each style ?

Yes, that is excatly what it means, but if that style doesn't include a main.tpl it will use the default one.

Rickard wrote:

I'm not sure. That's Paul's area smile

One potential change regarding the tpl files is that each style will have its own set of tpl files.

Really? Well, that makes even further style customization possible, very cool. And its optional, so you can keep it simple and only deviate on certain styles. Well done guys.

New markup looks good. I had to add something like #punisolate to my floated site, remember? Glad to see it make it into the default layout.

God, whats with the poll/PM requests. Especially PMs. Isn't that what email is for people? I've never understood private messages.

Any chance you can get it to force members to read the entire thread before posting the same comments? wink