Topic: Html Emails

i need a mod in wch can send html emails to all our members

thns

Re: Html Emails

I'm not sure whether the Broadcast Email plugin (it's on the download page) support HTML e-mail. If it doesn't, adding support shouldn't be difficult.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

it doesnt i think but can some 1 do it

If you're using your own local SMTP server (you are if you haven't entered an external SMTP server in admin/options), it should be easy.

Open up AP_Broadcast_Email.php and look for:

pun_mail($mail_to, $mail_subject, $mail_message);

Replace it with:

mail($mail_to, $mail_subject, $mail_message, 'MIME-Version: 1.0'."\r\n".'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1');

That should do it. I haven't tested it, but give it a go.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

no when we type any html code in the box and when we preview the email all html codes are shown not the html email

what to do now ?

has any1 tried this and sent an html email to thier members and did it work

I've made such addition to my forum. And I have to say - it required alot of changes (particularly in parser.php).
IMHO Rickard, you should support html subscription format natively, because it's really relevant feature.

hey why dont u share it with us dexus

Dexus wrote:

IMHO Rickard, you should support html subscription format natively, because it's really relevant feature.

Like most people who don't want to read hundreds of huge mails about penis enlargements and get molested by viruses I totally block html mails. The stupid tags just get stripped.
I have never ever seen a real use for them.
If I have something to say that requires layout and/or images I send a link to a web page.

So if you want to be sure your mails do not look crappy you shouldn't rely on html in emails. And if you have to send the html as an attachment so people can choose which one to view.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

ok i wanna atleast add images to an email what to do for that

Dexus wrote:

I've made such addition to my forum. And I have to say - it required alot of changes (particularly in parser.php).

I fail to see how parser.php is involved in sending HTML e-mails?

Dexus wrote:

In my opinion, HTML e-mail is pure evil, so don't expect that anytime soon.

hey rickard the changes u told to make has some problem aftr u do that it sends email with server address not our address

Rickard wrote:

HTML e-mail is pure evil

So I spent hours thinking how to say it in a polite manner - just to read this. smile

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Maybe Rickard thinks HTML email is evil, but I think it's great. big_smile

To be able to add clickable links is nice... and the current version abuses my quotes. It puts... & q u o t ; ...instead of a quote.

mail($mail_to, $mail_subject, $mail_message, 'MIME-Version: 1.0'."\r\n".'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1');

This didn't work? Why not? What makes HTML mail HTML mail?!

Soooo... I did some reading. I found this article...

http://webmaster.info.aol.com/htmlemail.html

What is this... Content-type: Multipart/alternative ...part?! Would that be a better content-type to use... or are you supposed to use both?

Did anyone else test the new line that Rickard posted? Also, what is this part in the line... ."\r\n". ...what is that supposed to do?

I should be sending out a mass mailing later today, as the Sorrow's Furnace expansion for Guild Wars should launch soon. Maybe I can do some testing... although confidence is low that I'll solve this problem. HA HA big_smile

Michael Garofalo
Webmaster - Photics.com

Tobi wrote:
Rickard wrote:

HTML e-mail is pure evil

So I spent hours thinking how to say it in a polite manner - just to read this. smile

Agreed, HTML mails are products of some very evil forces. As already mentioned, if the content of a mail requires HTML, it would be much better to just send out a link... HTML in mails == Potential security problems, and also, much cussing from 56k users wink

clickable links are nice, but <a href="dodgysite.com">Your bank.com</a> != nice tongue

17 (edited by Photics 2005-09-07 15:00)

Connorhd wrote:

clickable links are nice, but <a href="dodgysite.com">Your bank.com</a> != nice tongue

It's not like I'm going to do that to my users smile

If I do...

In a mass mailing, Mike wrote:

New Lost In Ascalon Cartoon...
http://photics.com/articles.php?articleId=65

They're more likely to read the article if it is clickable... and nicely formatted... with bold headline. If I just put the link there, they are less likely to cut n' paste it into a browser.

Michael Garofalo
Webmaster - Photics.com

Photics wrote:

They're more likely to read the article if it is clickable...

If someone sends me an e-mail in plain text format, and writes "http://www.anysite.com" - that becomes clickable in my mail-client... so it's really mail-client issue... no?

New Friendly web-shop! • SO happy with PunBB! • Now punBB 1.4.x on ALL forums (won't tell how many or their addresses to avoid spam-regs)

Plain mail cannot be right to left, so all email come from my forum are left to right, but not it is nessary to html mails becuase PunBB not mail engine.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.