1 (edited by Razmooze 2005-11-01 15:31)

Topic: title vs rank

Did a quick search and didn't find any previous discussion on this topic.
Now, aren't there anyone who have thought of separating title from rank so its not like you have to choose one of them? I as a administrator would also like to be part of the ranking system too smile.
Separating the two is also quite practical if you choose a ranking system that is adjacent with (static) titles which might otherwise confuse other forum users.
For instance, if I have a forum for a church. I might choose a ranking system that goes like: Novice, Reader, Deacon, Postulant, Priest, Curate, Chaplain, Rector, etc.... If there now is a member which actually is a reverant. Then people might think he's part of the ranking system, which is not a very good idea. One way to solve this is to introduce a prefix "rank: " for every rank in the list (or make a mod, which I presume is tedious in this case, since the ranking/title system affects/are affected by permission settings etc).
When having these two systems separated you could let the forum-script ignore writing out a title if not title is set for a given person.
For example:

John Doe
    Title: Administrator

I think this should be a inherent part of punBB and not a mod IMHO.

No electrons were harmed in the creation of this post.
However, many were excited and some may have enjoyed the experience.

Re: title vs rank

But your rank is your title, your rank is administrator though tongue thats the way i see it anyway

3 (edited by Razmooze 2005-11-01 21:32)

not really. Your rank is updated depending on how active you are. Your title remains the same at all times. You would'nt want "Administrator" to change to something else depending on your number of posts, right?
If you go to the administration section or to someones user profile you can either leave the field "title" blank (which means that the user will be part of the ranking system) or fill it in (the user won't be part of the ranking system, but have a constant title, which is quite boring in my opinion).

Edit: If the person in the example above is in the "Members" user group, then "title: Member" would instead be shown as default and the Administrator should always be able to change this title as he/she so find fit.

Edit: Edit: For instance, in this forum I'm ranked a Senior Member, which should be "rank: Senior Member", but the title should default to my user group which is "title: Member", but then the administrator should IMO be able to globally disable/enable default titles for each group such that all members would be title-less, like in this forum. In such a case, the title of all "Members" would be deactivated and not shown, which makes sense somehow (again IMO).

Edit: Edit: Edit: perhaps should drop the "title:"-prefix and just keep the "rank:"-prefix for consistency.

Edit: Edit: Edit: Edit:  I.e. in this forum, for example:

Razmooze
    [user avatar]

Connorhd
    [user avatar]

lol, i still think moderator overrides the ranks, but thats just my opinion tongue

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7293

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Ok. Guess I have to make my own mod then roll. Very well.