Re: 1.3 teaser

Pos3idon wrote:

nice work - where can I find the Random quote 1.0 ?

Dont think that it exists.

Well, you can make it: just take a screenshot of the extension file and base it off of that tongue

the extension system isn't released yet, so why would that be any good tongue

I think he means for 1.2.x tongue

there are a million PHP random quote scripts out there.. i'm using one here, although I just put it in the main.tpl and it's not a plugin. smile

1.3 is looking sweet! wink

For now...anyway to get clean URL's going in 1.2.10?
I have 1 project that can't, I'm waiting it out on some others though smile

Thanks

GregK: Not without modifying a lot of the scripts. It's very much possible though.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

58 (edited by GregK 2005-11-09 23:46)

Thanks Rickard wink

Whos forum is that?
I'm interested in some advertising possibly, as well as a tip on the clean URLs.

Wow, sub-20min support reply, you rock! smile

It's the forums for the magazine MacAddict. The guy you should talk to is GUI.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I've seen in the  demo that the extension replace <pon_announcement>, but if the extension needs to modify the template, what happen then?
Anyway, good job, I just discovered this forum system today and I'm very happy. Finally a good alternative to phpbb.
Thank you.

it doesn't replace pun_announcement and it doesn't modify the template. It adds directly to punbbs code.

Yes, I know it doesn't modify the template, but the random quote is printed in the <pon_announcement> postition of the template, isn it?
Sorry, probably I don't understand it well yet.
Thank you.

Actually, what I did in that extension was to prefix <pun_announcement> with the quote box. Have a closer look at the str_replace and you'll see that it's there at the end.

One question more, if you do that, then you won't be able to activate the announcements because the quote box replace it, isn it?
Will be possible do (for example) a attachment extension or image gallery...?
Anyway, I think that I'm anticipating, I will wait until you finish the version.
I will chagne my forum to punbb soon.
Thank you.

Why would it replace it. An extension could just add the appropriate markup for the quote box before the markup for the announcement box and then spit out both as <pun_announcement> though it would also have to change the "if" logic otherwise when you turn the announcement off you also turn off the quote of the day.

Like I said, the random quote extension I created (which was just created to show off the functionality), does NOT replace <pun_announcement>. It replaces it with the quote box, but then appends <pun_announcement> to the end of the string.

Ah!. So if for example I wanted to add something imediatelly before <pun_main> I would just write an extension which replaced <pun_main> with "my content" but the last item in "my content" would be a new <pun_main> marker which would then get replaced in turn with PunBB's regular main content.

All Right!!!
I understand now, thank you!!

Good Work!!

Paul: Yes. It's not very pretty, but yes.

Connorhd wrote:

the first rule of punbb club is you do not ask when the next version will be released.
the second rule of punbb club is you do not ask when the next version will be released.
the third rule of punbb club is you DO NOT ask when the next version will be released.

tongue

Given the above, and that pinning down a project like this to specific dates would be futile, where should a newbie like me be looking to get a sense of the following:

1. Are there any general policies used with respect to release cycle? e.g. the GNOME (Linux desktop) project releases every 6 months regardless; phpBB promise 1,000 features and lock themselves away in a dark corner for years on end with nothing usable to show for it... basically different projects have different approaches.

2. Scope of 1.3 release - it seems that actual features are not what it's all about, but making plugins/mods -> extensions highly managable. This is IMHO a Good Thing because I've seen the pain of maintaining a heavily modded BB while trying to cope with security updates (or even benefit from new features). But anyway, will there be much more in 1.3 beside all that?

3. At what approximate stage of development is 1.3? Sandbox, alpha, beta, beta and feature complete? Or is this unknown?

4. Is there a time frame in mind at all, or is this just totally taboo? I'm thinking in terms of Q4 2005, Q1 2006, etc. and not expecting anything firm.

Obviously the developers have a life, and forums shouldn't be clogged up with the same question, but if you look at it from the user's point of view, a little bit of insight can be helpful. I need to decide if it's worth migrating my phpBB forum to PunBB, and if so, whether to go with the 1.2 or 1.3 branch.

1. Not really no.

2. http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8601

3. Sandbox.

4. I certainly hope before the end of the year. It all depends on how much time I can devote to PunBB. I'm trying to clear my schedule for late november, early december as much as possible.

Thanks, that helps a lot. I'm in the early stages of redesigning my site and forums so I don't mind developing against a beta version... someone at work decided to get me into West Wing and I'm catching up on all the seasons on DVD so I don't have a huge amount of free time for coding anyway! wink

Paul is in the middle of committing a lot of markup and css changes, so I would wait a couple of days before grabbing anything from Subversion smile

is the style feature going to stay the same?

Define what you mean by "style feature".