Topic: Read threads stays unread

I first want to say, supergreat forum! Really much better then my torn, hacked phpBB big_smile

Anyhow.. When a member of my forum has viewed a thread, it stays unviewed and must press "Mark all topics as read" to get it done.

Fix to that?

Och på svenska som vore mer praktiskt att få hjälp med tongue

När någon på mitt forum har läst en tråd så fortsätter den vara oläst vilket inte kan vara riktigt riktigt.
Vad göra? Detta gäller alla. Men trycker man på "Mark all topics as read" så fixar det sig.

/ a very happy punBB user smile

Re: Read threads stays unread

That's not a bug, it's how PunBB works tongue
If you really want to change that, you can wait for 1.3 or install the Mark topics as read mod

Ahh big_smile
Well, aslong as it functions properly big_smile

So that's how 1.3 will work? That's nice to hear.

bkhl wrote:

Rickard hasn't decided I don't think
And I doubt he'd use a database based option, since it adds an extra query per page (although he might, it's up to him). But IMO a cookie based option (like phpBB) is more likely

I have. I haven't decided on the implementation, but I will definately beef up the topic marking in some way.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Where can i find the "Mark topics as read" mod? If there is such a thing of course wink

(Still very, very satisfied with the way punBB works!)

http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=321

Ludo,

Smartys wrote:
bkhl wrote:

Rickard hasn't decided I don't think
And I doubt he'd use a database based option, since it adds an extra query per page (although he might, it's up to him). But IMO a cookie based option (like phpBB) is more likely

I would like to speak up for this feature, though.

I'm managing the forums for a small project, where I and a few other people basically needs to read every posting. The way PunBB handles the unread status isn't really satisfactory for that, and with our small (100-200) amount of users, the database could certainly handle it.

I've looked at the "Mark topics as read" mod, but that isn't fully satisfactory either, since it throws away read/unread status when users log out.

I think this feature should be available, but not the default, and also have the option of saving read/unread status for users permanently.

A cookie based solution wouldn't really do it for me, either, since I need to access the forum from different locations.

bkhl wrote:

I looked at the "Mark topics as read" mod, but that isn't fully satisfactory either, since it throws away read/unread status when users log out.

As does every single other forum system I know of that uses the time you last viewed the forum to determine new post status.
Unless you want to work with HUGE arrays, you can't store new post data for every thread in an array. Not only would it take up a lot of space, it would take forever to search through as well.

However, to get what you want, all you have to do is tell the mod never to remove the data and the forum never to set last_visited

Like Smartys said, storing read/unread data for all topics and all users isn't feasible. Sure, it might work for a forum with a couple of hundred users and a couple of thousands topics, but it won't scale. The table in which these things are stored has to be relatively small.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."