Topic: Display of "Post new topic" and "Reply" when not available to user

When users are not logged in to my forum, they can't post new topics or reply to existing ones. However, if they want to do so, it would be helpful if the "Post new topic" and "Reply" options were visible but not active, with perhaps a title attribute telling the user that they must login to use those options. Currently these two options are not visible, so it is difficult for the inexperienced user to see why they can't use the forum.

I'm guessing that this would be fairly easy to implement; what do you think?

Re: Display of "Post new topic" and "Reply" when not available to user

Personally I think exactly the opposite. If a features not available then it should be entirely absent. What would be more useful is a message somewhere telling people they need to login/register in order to post.

3 (edited by marvincooper 2005-11-23 07:12)

Well yes that would do (and I have done this on my forum) but it needs to be at the top of the page (like where the "Post new topic" option is) so that it can't be missed.

Ideally I would like it to be a link in the same place as the "Post new topic" or "Reply" option, with the text "Login to post new topic" or "Login to reply" - the link would take the user to the login / register page.

It's not a bad idea. I'll look into it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

As long as you don't click it and it says "Access Denied" or something when you try to click anything, i really really hate that tongue

Thanks Rickard. If this found it's way into 1.3 I would be a very happy camper smile

We have the usual problem that there is no room for anything more verbose than the existing links (I will say no more about that, I'm beginning to sound like a nagging wife on that subject). It would be better to put the message in the welcome box at the top e.g.

"You are not logged in."
"To post topics or replies you must <link>login</> or <link>register</>."

Trouble with that is permissions set by forum, changing the message according to what forum was displayed might be a little tricky. It also only copes with guests not with fancy permissions settings for members.

Isn't it only a case of saying: "if permission level = [can't post] then show link a, else show link b" ?  I'm probably missing something here...

I agree that we should not clutter the screen with extra links - that's why I'm suggesting the links could be conditional.

It's not a huge requirement of mine but would be nice to have.

that was quick smile