Topic: 3G

How cool wouldn't it be if PunBB was adapt to third generation (3G) mobile network! big_smile

I have many friends here in Stockholm, Sweden who would like to visit my excellent forum on the subway on the way to work. And it would also be really nice to be able to supervise, and enjoy, my one forum wherever I am. 

I have really no idea what I'm asking for. I'm still amazed that I got my forum working. big_smile

Is it possible? smile

hej!

Re: 3G

I can see this wasn?t a big hit... big_smile

hej!

hmm you only posted a couple of hours ago...

And why does PunBB not work on 3G, it works fine on my GPRS lame small screen wap phone tongue

4 (edited by FredrikK 2005-11-24 02:47)

PunBB works on 3G, but is's really really slooow and are not suited for a small mobil phone screen at all. It would be nice with a extremely minimalistic version of the forum, in addition to the standard design created for the computer screen.

Is it possible? Is it hard to do?

Edit: Spelling mistake. My clock is right now 03:42, and i am starting to get at bit tired. And I have to go to work in 4 hours. Hurray!

hej!

Why would it be slow, 3G is a broadband connection and PunBB is extremely lightweight for a forum.

6 (edited by FredrikK 2005-11-24 10:49)

It's not slow to download the information, but it's difficult to read it all. What I mean is that it takes e great deal of time and is difficult to use PunBB on a small 3G phone screen. It's hard to explain, but it's if you make your window one an a half inch wide and two inches long, and only use your keyboard, you get the picture pretty good.

My idea is that the original layout for computers remains as it is, the changes would only affect an alternative way to visit a forum, a way created for mobile phones and pocket computers, even more minimalistic.

Here is a small list of things that I believe would make it easier to use punBB on a 3G-version for mobile phones:

- The description of the forum can be removed, only the titles remains.
-  A fix so that the text in the area where information about newest registered user, users online and statistic are shown are NOT shown vertical which creates a extremely long page to scroll down.
- When you have enter one of the categorise in the forum the header is not necessary any more, if you want to reach it, you can go back to the first page.
- The members name and avatar is the only essential information needed. If you want to see e-mail address or any other information you can look in the members profile.
- Make the threads title not shown vertical before the text of every post.
- A total make over of the layout when writing a message or creating a thread.

It's a rather blur picture, but look at the marked scroller (is that the right word?), it's is a looong way to the end of the page. And that is a picture of viewing this, for now, pretty short thread. With no mouse, only a shift button it's difficult. 

http://www.brunna.se/bilder/3g.jpg

Edit: Clarification.

hej!

7 (edited by FredrikK 2005-11-24 17:13)

Anyone up to for job? Or is it even possible?

Edit: I promise to make my girlfriends name one of her puppys, who was born this afternoon, after the man who will make this happen! It's a change of a lifetime!

hej!

Its perfectly possible and its quite easy. There is one catch, can you guarantee that all viewers will be using mobiles that fully support media="handheld". Most don't.

1ste time I work with punBB in a long time and hey ... this sounds like something I'm working on ...

I got a thing like "index.php?out=wap", "index.php?out=xhtml.mp", "index.php?out=html", ... (ofcourse "$out" can also be set true a config file in subdomains or something like that)

I got premission from the client to release a lite version of it under gpl so ... I'l keep a eye on this topic and let you guy's now how the progress is going wink

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows. No gates. Just an Apache inside.