Topic: Programmer must be a Superman

When i started programming about 1988, i must learn BASIC,with only BASIC you will be a programmer but you will not find a job because no one know about programmig as work, i worked also with Z80 machine code.

But this days 2005, you must work with rapid application developing like (VB, VC, C#, DELPHI etc) then you must have a site, mean (ASP, PHP) and that last one you must work with HTML and its borthers like (JavaScript, CSS, XML), and dont forget your data must be stored in MySQL and ansi SQL syntax, So what about file security of Linux or Windows users, TCPIP, all of them need many and many of library codes.

And after that some one say to me in arabic forums how i am stupid, Damn is i must be a Superman?.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Re: Programmer must be a Superman

I feel your pain smile

It's even harder today with all the new technologies coming at us at such a rapid pace. PHP 4, forget about it we have 5 now, hey what about Ruby!!

I really enjoy the IT world, it's kept my mind fresh and young but there are times where I would rather be a user than an implementer. When I decided to put up a web site, I ended up getting involved behind the scenes. Maybe it's just the tinkerer in us, we want to know how it works.

What I do know is this, what I do know won't matter in 5 years.

The real situate is, in my country there is a new generation come out from IT college, this college it also

new (opened before 6 years), that newbe students and graduated students have no job here or no

opportunities, they thinking the "not graduated" like me take them opportunities to them jobs, it is not make

that the pain to me, the real pain it is we lost the corporation with them.

My ask to who live in Hi tech education countries (UK, Europe, USA, etc)
- Is there no "not graduated" programmers working there
- What you feel about them if the are founded
- Did you work with them as like as the graduated programmers

how about my english, sooo baaad tongue

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Generally nowadays programmers don't do it all on their own -- it's more of a team effort, each programmer with their specific talent to combine with the other's work. Though we still have to learn a bunch of languages and is a very competitive field.

zaher wrote:

My ask to who live in Hi tech education countries (UK, Europe, USA, etc)
- Is there no "not graduated" programmers working there
- What you feel about them if the are founded
- Did you work with them as like as the graduated programmers

I never went to college, in the game of Life, I took the married route with kids path. After spending years in dead end jobs, I went to a Technical school and learned programming. After graduating, I got a job as a computer consultant and eventually struck out on my own.

Even though I took computing courses, the majority of my learning has been hands on. Thrown in front of a task, given a manual and asked to handle the problem. At first it was scary but I quickly learned that nobody knows everything, we all have to look things up.

My light bulb lit up when an IBM technician came out to fix our mainframe. Here I thought I was looking at the pinnacle of geekness, a techie from the mother ship. The white shirted gent with the tie, read some code off the front panel, opened up a diagnostic book, looked up the code and read aloud the intructions to replace a certain board, swapped out the board, IPL'ed the machine and gave me the biggest lesson of my career.

Yes, I would have liked to have gone to college and gotten a proper degree but I don't think it would have made me a better programmer. I've worked along side programmers with degrees and ones that were self taught, from my experience, I'd rather work with the hungry for knowledge tinkerers.