Topic: Visual Studio for free

Just thought I'd pop in and tell you that Microsoft is doing a campaign where they give away Visual Studio Express for free (until november 2006). Sure it surely is a bit less than the full version, but a nice programming package nevertheless, especially for me as a hobbyist wink

... included are Visual Basic, C#, C++, J#, Web Developer and SQL Server.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx

I downloaded all the iso's so I can use this for a long time smile  (5 x ~450MB)

Re: Visual Studio for free

Pardon me, but I was under the impression the express edition would always be free? Like the sql server express edition.

Edit: Guess not.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

could still be if they feel it got the attention they wanted, but who knows ...

maybe they saw how well it worked for opera and decided to try the same trick tongue

I need more than 1 year to move my work to it roll

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Just downloaded Visual Web Developer. [irony]Now I can help Rickard with any ASP problems[/irony]

zaher, downloads are free until november, after november you have to pay to get it ... but if you download now you already have it ... so you can use it for as long as you want ...

I will start to download it, But i still not believe with it smile

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

I have .NET and I don't use it very much.

.Net or as I lovingly refer to it as .Not smile

Yes, we have these cutesy names for Windoze products, like Internet Exploder & Lookout. What surprises me to no end is that we continue to fall prey to a closed environment that has given us more headaches than we care to mention around our bosses for fear of losing our jobs.

Back when it was OK to pilfer talent, Microsoft or The Evil Empire, lured Anders Heljsberg away from Borland to work on C#. With this move it slowed down two languages with one hire, Delphi and Java. Delphi was my favorite at the time and Java was an up and comer.

Now what does this mean to those that need to put food on the table you ask?

Well, I was also in the same predicament about 15 years ago, much of my livelihood depended on Microsoft products. Today, I care not and will not support Windows machines. I actually cringe when friends or family call me with a 'My machine has gone brain dead' support call.

But that doesn't quite answer the 'I need to pay the rent and the wife wants to go to dinner and a movie every Saturday'. For me it was more of a lifestyle change, yes I make good money but it wasn't a rewarding experience. So I decided to make less, pick what I wanted to work on and bank that one day it would pay off.

To make a very long post short, my shift to Open Source has gone good for me. I get to work with Linux, help out with projects that enable me to build sites for clients and all from the comfort of my home. Maybe I should write one of those get rich slowly with a text edtor books wink

To quote Ricky Nelson: 'But if memories were all I sang, I rather drive a truck '

Visual Studio 2005 Express Announcements!

Dear Visual Studio Express community,

We are incredibly excited to announce that effective April 19th, 2006, all Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions including Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, Visual C++, and Visual Web Developer Express will be free permanently!

Prior to this pricing announcement, Visual Studio Express Editions were promotionally discounted to be free for one year, starting on November 7th, 2005. With this announcement, the promotional discount for Visual Studio Express is now permanent and Express will continue to be free.

The key reason for the pricing change was you. You?ve helped make Visual Studio Express a runaway hit, and we?re proud to announce that in the five months since its launch, Express has been downloaded over 5 million times!

More info...

sweet http://warthog.campus.luth.se/Frank/div/smilies/thumbsup3d.gif  smile