Re: Mark topics as read v1.1

Which it does...

Good Lord, this will be core in 1.3 branch.

Smartys wrote:

Which it does...

wierd, got some error when i tried to install, i'll provide what it was later on today wink

So i have a quesiton, it is working on 1.2.10 without any problems ?
When 1.3 will goes online ?

coxis wrote:

So i have a quesiton, it is working on 1.2.10 without any problems ?
When 1.3 will goes online ?

1. I've gotten it working on my 1.2.10 forum.

2. Please read this thread: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9864

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

My other version... In testing...
For 1.2.10

http://www.swelfs.jino-net.ru/mod.txt

[img]http://swelfs.jino-net.ru/wnd/punbbfan.gif[/img]

82 (edited by cytexone 2006-01-22 19:22)

Hello Everyone,

First off this Mod is awesome... Second, does anyone know how to disable the mod from automatically marking topics as read after the user timeout has occurred, in addition if the user logs off we don't want the topics marked as read?  I only want it to mark the topic as read if they actually reads the topic.

Thanks so much

Dan
CYTEXONE

cytexone wrote:

Hello Everyone,

First off this Mod is awesome... Second, does anyone know how to disable the mod from automatically marking topics as read after the user timeout has occurred, in addition if the user logs off we don't want the topics marked as read?  I only want it to mark the topic as read if they actually reads the topic.

Thanks so much

Dan
CYTEXONE

Yea, I also have a problem with that hmm

Twig wrote:
cytexone wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much

Dan
CYTEXONE

PunBB will behave the way you desire in version 1.3.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:
Twig wrote:
cytexone wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much

Dan
CYTEXONE

PunBB will behave the way you desire in version 1.3.

Actually, it won't. The last visit time will still play a role: storing all the topics ever read by a user in a cookie does not work in the long run and does not work when the user uses multiple computers. Even with a database based system like this mod, unless you're willing to sacrifice the space to store all that data, you're going to run into issues.
A better idea might be to set the timeout to a longer period of time (eg: an hour)

My mistake, I apologize -- how exactly does the "New topic read marking system" work then?

pogenwurst wrote:

My mistake, I apologize -- how exactly does the "New topic read marking system" work then?

Well, last visit time still determines if a post is possibly new or not. If the last post time for a topic is older than the last visit time, the topic is marked as read. If it's not, we then check against the last read time for the specific topic stored in a cookie. If there is no last read time for that topic or the last post time is newer, the topic is new. Otheriwse, it's old

I was going to try install this mod but i dont find this anywhere

#
#---------[ 4. OPEN ]---------------------------------------------------------
#

header.php

#
#---------[ 5. FIND (line: 176) ]---------------------------------------------
#

else

#
#---------[ 6. BEFORE, ADD ]--------------------------------------------------
#

// MOD: MARK TOPICS AS READ - 2 LINES NEW CODE FOLLOW
    else if (basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) == 'viewforum.php')
        $tpl_temp .= '</ul>'."\n\t\t\t".'<p class="conr"><a href="misc.php?action=markforumread&id='.$id.'">'.$lang_common['Mark forum as read'].'</a></p>'."\n\t\t\t".'<div class="clearer"></div>'."\n\t\t".'</div>';

there is a few else around there, and im not sure which one i should add this before

89 (edited by wobo 2007-08-08 12:39)

Smartys wrote:

A better idea might be to set the timeout to a longer period of time (eg: an hour)

Ah, no. This does not solve the 2 major issues: different computers / access points, broken connections. In my country (Germany) most private broadband connections are terminated once in 24 hours, so you will have to read all posts before that break. Then there are other reasons for a connection break also.

With all due respect I have as a non-coder for all developers: you always talk about issues with the database growing too large or time or performance issues - there are none of those!
I am running a site with nore than 1200 registered users with a total of 140K posts, an average of 20 to 100 posts per day. I used a MOD with exactly the wanted feature for a long time in PHPBB and I used SMF for 2 years which has this feature built in. We never found any issue with this feature. There must be a way to limit the number of unread flags per user - because If a user stays away too long or if he never hits the "Mark all forums read" button  he will get an error message from the database (which could be displayed as a friendly "You have been away too long"). All he has to do then is hit the "Mark all forums read" button. Done.

I don't know exactly how the MOD in PHPBB or the function in SMF does it, code wise, If I knew I'd write a MOD myself. But my experience (see above) and all those users of SMF show that it is possible and that this function does not cause any issues as you wrote.

wobo

FSFE Fellow #359 - The Freedom of Knowledge is a Human Right

I've installed the mod on my forum and it is working great.   I upgraded my server right before the installation so it was hard to gauge if / how much of a server load impact it has had.   I've got timeout set to an hour (as suggested by the author).  I'd love to increase this to something like 24 hours, but am worried about how this may impact performance.   Any thoughts?

Using the patch was relatively easy and it made me yearn even more for the extention system of 1.3

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

A quick follow up on the item above.   I'd like to change the "Visit timeout" from an hour up to possibly 24 hours but am concerned of the impact this will have on the forum.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter.

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

reviewum.com wrote:

A quick follow up on the item above.   I'd like to change the "Visit timeout" from an hour up to possibly 24 hours but am concerned of the impact this will have on the forum.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter.

You'll should be fine.

wobo wrote:

Ah, no. This does not solve the 2 major issues: different computers / access points, broken connections. In my country (Germany) most private broadband connections are terminated once in 24 hours, so you will have to read all posts before that break. Then there are other reasons for a connection break also.

The cookie set isn't a session cookie. So, a broken connection would have no impact. However, the different computer argument does have merit.

wobo wrote:

With all due respect I have as a non-coder for all developers: you always talk about issues with the database growing too large or time or performance issues - there are none of those!
I am running a site with nore than 1200 registered users with a total of 140K posts, an average of 20 to 100 posts per day. I used a MOD with exactly the wanted feature for a long time in PHPBB and I used SMF for 2 years which has this feature built in. We never found any issue with this feature. There must be a way to limit the number of unread flags per user - because If a user stays away too long or if he never hits the "Mark all forums read" button  he will get an error message from the database (which could be displayed as a friendly "You have been away too long"). All he has to do then is hit the "Mark all forums read" button. Done.

Except you want to avoid having to do that. And the number of topics stored as read can be huge.
And the way SMF marks post as read in the database versus this mod is very different. I will look into having the mark as read system allow a database component in 1.3.

Smartys wrote:
wobo wrote:

The cookie set isn't a session cookie. So, a broken connection would have no impact. However, the different computer argument does have merit.

I see what you mean. But after a closer look at this mod here I see also that the installation is over my limited knowledge of PHP. There are too many conflicts with the modifications which are already there (I'm using MegaPun). I am quite sure that someone with better php knowledge could possibly install it, though.

And the way SMF marks post as read in the database versus this mod is very different. I will look into having the mark as read system allow a database component in 1.3.

Thanks a lot for the effort. Although people in my forum have accepted the change, after 2 months I still have users complaining about this feature.

Most users are very satisfied with the show_24 feature which I have extended to 48 hours. I also found out that no matter what the visit timeout is set to, I can stay logged in as long as I want to (ATM I am logged in for more than 12 days on one machine) and I see that many users do the same. No performance changes.

wobo

FSFE Fellow #359 - The Freedom of Knowledge is a Human Right