1 (edited by bluedigitalmedia 2006-01-25 16:38)

Topic: How to upgrade when PunBB is customized

I know I'll probably be chastised for this, but I am running a site that is currently using Version: 1.1.5 and I need to know how to do a proper upgrade to the latest version - step by step if at all possible.

I have customized what I have a fair amount and I would hate to have to rebuild all over again.

What is the proper procedure for upgrading to the latest of PunBB?

Please help!!!

TIA,

Re: How to upgrade when PunBB is customized

If your grading from 1.1.* to 1.2.* you will need to scrap your modifications and start from a proper install pretty much. There are way to many changes to patch it.

The upgrade isn't going all that well from my POV - Much of my custom mods are not so removed from the previous version I am looking into just scrapping it all together and finding a new forum app... hmm

like reines said, u will need to start your forum all over again.
all mods ect from 1.1.5 will NOT work on 1.2
most of the coding is different from 1.1

I would wait till 1.3 comes out and code your mods with the new extension system.

There aren't that many lightweight forums to pick from.

hcgtv wrote:

I would wait till 1.3 comes out and code your mods with the new extension system.

There aren't that many lightweight forums to pick from.

that could be weeks yet, actually lets make that months
no one knows when its going to be done, the dev looks like it has stopped hmm

Mark,

The poster is running 1.1.5, when 1.2 was released a year ago.

If he was in a hurry, wouldn't he have done an update already?

Well, after much hair pulling - I have some semblance of a forums working - although I had to more or less remove ALL of my custom formatting due to a drastic change in the way the code is implmented.

sigh hmm

hcgtv wrote:

Mark,

The poster is running 1.1.5, when 1.2 was released a year ago.

If he was in a hurry, wouldn't he have done an update already?

i didnt say he was in a hurry to get it done, i just said it could be weeks or months befor 1.3 comes out, but its still up to him if he wants to update to 1.2 or wait for 1.3

As much as I have researched Forum apps, yes, PunBB is really a very efficient and what appears to be - secure - forum app.

I am trying to give it my best shot right now but am stumped on this issue.

If you visit the current updated forum at http://www.uwdv.com/forums - I need a question answered and I cant seem to fix the issue - My topics seem to have quite a bit of space between the lines and I am banging my head as to how to move the line spcing in closer - I have looked at the style sheets but they give no answer to how to make the line spacing a normal default value - any ideas???

Mark wrote:

Trust me, we're working on it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I finally gave up and moved the forums to phpbb.. I couldn't afford to take any more time out of my day to work on this..

bluedigitalmedia wrote:

I finally gave up and moved the forums to phpbb.. I couldn't afford to take any more time out of my day to work on this..

You just went from secure to massively UNSECURE... roll

Rickard wrote:
Mark wrote:

Trust me, we're working on it.

good im glad to here it smile cant wait for release smile

Notch wrote:
bluedigitalmedia wrote:

The issue here is that I had a properly working version of punbb - but due to it's version number - it had security issues - although I don't know what they were.

You state that now I'm using phpBB it is not secure - unless one can prove as such, it is speculation.  I know phpBB has had security issues in the past, but my research indicates that the developers are taking a more active role in addressing those issues.  I was quite happy with punbb - until I had to upgrade and it totally FUBAR my layout.

Also - my host provider supports phpBB via Fantastico in my cPanel so that I will know when a new update is available - that was something I didn't have with punbb.

I appreciate your POV on this issue - believe me - I would rather have kept with punbb, but it was more or less a business decision - my site is a commercial website and I need to make sure I can maintain regular security updates - phpBB offers me that currently.

bluedigitalmedia wrote:

I was quite happy with punbb - until I had to upgrade and it totally FUBAR my layout.

The version you were running was a year and half old. That's an eternity. Expecting a current release to be completely backwards compatible with any hacks and styles from the old version is not realistic.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

bluedigitalmedia wrote:

You state that now I'm using phpBB it is not secure - unless one can prove as such, it is speculation.  I know phpBB has had security issues in the past, but my research indicates that the developers are taking a more active role in addressing those issues.

Well, if you consider a Google search on security issues with phpBB that show CONSISTENT security issues (think Internet Explorer... everyone has it and seems to use it so it gets exploited more) is speculation, well, it's your site mate.

Also - my host provider supports phpBB via Fantastico in my cPanel so that I will know when a new update is available - that was something I didn't have with punbb.

Forget modifying your site then to anything outside of the stock install if you are going to use Fantastico and the updates it provides. If you make any mods to the site it will most likely crash when you apply any patch that Fantastico puts out for phpBB as it is a stock patch and does not take into account any forum mods.  You would have to pretty much do the same thing you do with PunBB going this route...

Good luck with it...

Notch wrote:

when you apply any patch that Fantastico puts out for phpBB

phpBB bring out new updates? Goodluck on that one.

Notch wrote:

Well, if you consider a Google search on security issues with phpBB that show CONSISTENT security issues (think Internet Explorer... everyone has it and seems to use it so it gets exploited more) is speculation, well, it's your site mate.

This is a good place to see security issues: http://www.osvdb.org/

Do a Title Search on phpBB and be prepared to patch your just released 2.0.19 version wink

Honestly, if you're looking for more bells and whistle, SMF is a better choice.

Rickard wrote:
bluedigitalmedia wrote:

I was quite happy with punbb - until I had to upgrade and it totally FUBAR my layout.

The version you were running was a year and half old. That's an eternity. Expecting a current release to be completely backwards compatible with any hacks and styles from the old version is not realistic.

Thanks Rickard - btw - does the converter work with the current version of phpbb to punbb?  I'm all about using punbb again because of it's speed..

Cliff

Notch wrote:

My problem with phpBB.... IT'S SLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWW!

Comparing phpBB to punBB is like comparing a Marathon runner to a FORD MUSTANG!

Aye, waiting for 1.3 is kinda screwing things up... as I'm looking forward to the RPG Mod. Last I heard, that was on-hold until 1.3 is out. Yet... so what?! I can wait. HA HA.

punBB > phpBB

Michael Garofalo
Webmaster - Photics.com

22 (edited by bluedigitalmedia 2006-01-27 22:39)

Ok - Well, been up since 3:30 this morning and finally got the site to go live - and yes, I went back to PunBB after a little more research.. wink

You can see it at http://www.uwdv.com/forum/

I do have an issue I can't seem to resolve - my new post notifications Icon isn't showing in IE6 but is working fine with Opera and Firefox and I can't figure out why. (GAWD I hate IE!)

I went back to the stock install and made sure it was running by itself before any modifications.

Any ideas???

23 (edited by Notch 2006-01-28 01:00)

404 error... not found....

It's "forums" not "forum"  smile

Oh, and I do not see any post icons at all... I tried with Firefox, Avant and IE

then why does it work with Opera 8.5???  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! mad

It looks perfect with Opera...

25 (edited by bluedigitalmedia 2006-01-28 03:04)

As a followup - The only changes made to PunBB have been to the Oxygen.css style sheet at the following section:

original
/****************************************************************/
/* 5. VERTICAL AND PAGE SPACING */

/* 5.1 Page margins */

HTML, BODY {MARGIN: 0; PADDING: 0}
#punwrap {margin:12px 20px}

modified:

/* 5. VERTICAL AND PAGE SPACING */

/* 5.1 Page margins */

HTML, BODY {MARGIN: 0; PADDING: 0}
#punwrap {margin:1px 1px}

body {
    background-color: #0066cc;

And adding a table around the forum code in the main.tpl page to allow the page to look simiar to the rest of the site.

I have even reuploaded unmodified cascading style sheets and the default templates - and I still do not see the icons so I know it isn't something I did.

Any ideas why my icons at the left disappear with IE and firefox, but render fine in Opera???

I'm so close to going back to phpbb it isn't funny...  hmm