1 (edited by dan333444 2006-01-29 04:25)

Topic: I've started new project which rewrite the punbb code to use 'smarty'

'Smarty' is a template engine. Moving to this platform will make the develop of new skins really easy than now and also make the code more easy to read.

If someone see this project important and have the knowledge to help me finish it fester he/she welcome to email me:
333222@gmail.com

Anyway I gave this fork project the name 'TLSM' as the name of the father project that will use it.

I'll release the code once it'll be ready and I might open cvs more than one developer join me.

(right now it might take me about a week to two month it's all depends on how hard the process will become or how much time I'll have to spend on other commitments).

Daniel Shkuri

2 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2006-01-29 08:11)

Re: I've started new project which rewrite the punbb code to use 'smarty'

i'd wait for 1.3 to take anything on seriously. it's a much bigger change than just some bug fixes so your modification most likely won't be compatible. but good luck none-the-less.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

i'd wait for 1.3 to take anything on seriously. it's a much bigger change than just some bug fixes so your modification most likely won't be compatible. but good luck none-the-less.

The current version of punbb is one of the most stable forum exist (try compare it to to phpbb) even if some additional functionality will be added in the new version I think it wont be that hard to implement them in the smarty based project (since moving to smarty make the code much more easy to edit).

Daniel

punbb is alot more stable than phpbb ect, but there is a new version of punbb coming out soon. 1.3. it is going to be alot different to 1.2 but still be alot more secure and faster than phpbb

5 (edited by tolano 2006-01-31 11:16)

And why don't you help to punbb and change the code with Rickard instead of fork?
I think that punbb should change to a template solution. Now, that's it in my opinion the worst thing in punbb.
Anyway, I don't know what Rickard thinks about this, but I would like to know ;-)

Templating has been discussed before a number of times. The answer was no, not in the forseeable future anyway, and not using the Smarty templating engine. My feeling is if a template system is going to be used then the program needs to be designed from the ground up to use it and use its own templating system rather than a third party offering.

7 (edited by tolano 2006-01-31 11:58)

Ok, I'm agreee with that, but I'm not agree with the fact that to modify something in the template you have to see php code. I think that php and html or xhtml, should be separated.
In my opinion http://modxcms.com/ is a great example, I think that they use their own template system (not 100% sure) but you can create templates easyly, just with xhtml (or html) and inserting some tags.
http://modxcms.com/designer-guide.html
Here you can see the creation of a template  in only 3 steps:
    * Template Basics
    * Adding MODx Tags
    * Adding Snippets
It's very easy, and the most powerfull that I have ever seen.
It's just an idea, I suppose that change everything now it's quite difficult, but better as soon as possible.
Thank you.

I can see PunBB moving over to a template system some time in the future, but if anything, it will be XML/XSLT with client side transformations (and server fall-back of course). Anything else feels so 2003.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

I can see PunBB moving over to a template system some time in the future, but if anything, it will be XML/XSLT with client side transformations (and server fall-back of course). Anything else feels so 2003.

Now your speaking my language, its just a pity the xml/xslt world seems wedded to tables when it comes to automated tools.

On the XML/XSLT template question, I found a system that uses such a scheme.

Flux CMS: http://wiki.bitflux.org/Main_Page

Source Code: http://phpxref.com/xref/fluxcms/

Worth looking at to get ideas, one of the few systems with a forward approach.

Paul wrote:

Templating has been discussed before a number of times. The answer was no, not in the forseeable future anyway, and not using the Smarty templating engine. My feeling is if a template system is going to be used then the program needs to be designed from the ground up to use it and use its own templating system rather than a third party offering.

You right I just begin to realize how much work involved in this process. For now it seems that I wont do this.

thank you all.

Rickard wrote:

I can see PunBB moving over to a template system some time in the future, but if anything, it will be XML/XSLT with client side transformations (and server fall-back of course).

That's a great idea! I would like to see it soon.

Thank you for your reply.

Just a question, I'm trying to learn more about XML/XSLT.
Using XML, do you still need a database for the posts? or you will create the xml document from the database?

Thank you.

tolano wrote:

Just a question, I'm trying to learn more about XML/XSLT.
Using XML, do you still need a database for the posts? or you will create the xml document from the database?

Thank you.

Yes. The general idea is that you generate an XML file based on the data in the database. You then use an XSL document to transform the XML document into XHTML. You can do this transformation either on the server or let the browser do it (some browsers don't support it though).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

15 (edited by foxmask 2006-02-03 20:30)

hcgtv wrote:

On the XML/XSLT template question, I found a system that uses such a scheme.

Flux CMS: http://wiki.bitflux.org/Main_Page

Source Code: http://phpxref.com/xref/fluxcms/

Worth looking at to get ideas, one of the few systems with a forward approach.

things that are not said on popoon is, its a "clone-project" (but in php) of  Cocoon, a greeaaat XML Framework made in Java.

I think that in php4 ; xml/xslt is not very improved like in php5 ...
does it mean punBB will be oriented to XML nearly and then will use php5 ?

regards.