Topic: Mozilla Songbird Preview Release

Mozilla has released a technology preview of Songbird, an application that functions much the same as ITunes. It allows you to organize your music, connect to music stores, play music, etc...

You can download it at

http://www.songbirdnest.com/

If the site is overloaded... you can find a torrent I'm hosting for the next day or two at the link below.

Songbird Torrent

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

Re: Mozilla Songbird Preview Release

It looks neat... but the download is slooooowwww. sad

Are you sure it's Mozilla that released it? I know it's based upon Mozilla's technology, but to the best of my knowledge it's made by third party developers.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:

It looks neat... but the download is slooooowwww. sad

Are you sure it's Mozilla that released it? I know it's based upon Mozilla's technology, but to the best of my knowledge it's made by third party developers.

It's not made by the Mozilla foundation. It is just built off of their work.

I have an iPod, so I use iTunes. i don't really need another media player.

Bassguy wrote:

It's not made by the Mozilla foundation. It is just built off of their work.

That's what I thought.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:

but the download is slooooowwww. sad

...I got over 1.5mbps download on it..

My mistake.  Your right, it is based on Firefox but not by Mozilla.  Thanks for catching that.  The app looks promising.

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

Reines wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

but the download is slooooowwww. sad

...I got over 1.5mbps download on it..

Probably because I was too stupid to use the torrent. wink

I grabbed it and played around with it just to see how Xulrunner worked. Songbird is still pretty early in it's development but I like what I see.

Building apps from the Mozilla code base looks promising, I can see many uses for it beyond the desktop, phones, pdas, etc.

Komodo is also built off the Mozilla code base.

Bassguy wrote:

so I use iTunes. i don't really need another media player.

Oh yeah.... iTunes is the best software about.... lol lol lol lol lol lol

StevenBullen wrote:

Oh yeah.... iTunes is the best software about.... lol lol lol lol lol lol

The problem with iTunes and many applications nowadays is that they want to do too much.

Winamp used to be a rather light app and they started to add Video and Radio, etc. I prefer apps that do one thing and do it well, adding features to apps just makes them bloatware.

I would rather run something other than iTunes to listen to my music and have a light conduit app to transfer songs to our iPods. iTunes takes forever to load and I can tell my system struggles when running it. On a Mac, iTunes runs great but on WinXP, it's bloatware.

I have Itunes on a Windows machine that I use primarily for testing.  Its feel clunky on Windows.  When you click a button... it seems like the application is trying to decide what to do.  Its not snappy and fast but slow and methodical.  Another problem I have with Itunes is the navigation.  It doesn't feel natural.  Admittedly, I have yet to find a podcast/media player that I really like.  I don't think the killer app for this segment of the software world has been created yet.

Maybe later versions of Songbird can fill this void... but its still too early to tell.

12 (edited by pogenwurst 2006-02-09 20:42)

Todd wrote:

Admittedly, I have yet to find a podcast/media player that I really like.  I don't think the killer app for this segment of the software world has been created yet.

Yeah, same with me. I just can't find a media player that's not too bloated and/or annoying, yet does everything I want it to.

Im using windows media player neutral I got myself a new laptop and it has some handy play, stop, next track etc buttons on it, which don't appear to be configurable to work with anything else.

for music  ---> http://www.foobar2000.org/
for video ---> http://www.bsplayer.org/
for quick converting of cds/.ape/.flac etc to the tres funky mpc format smile http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

never bolt your door with a boiled carrot

oh yes foobar2000, i used that when i had a shitload mp3s, and it worked great.

hcgtv wrote:

Komodo is also built off the Mozilla code base.

I know it's not related to Songbird, but I just checked out Komodo from that link and it looks awesome!

sPuD,

Komodo is very nice, they were giving away free licenses for the personal edition last December and I grabbed version 3.5.2. Still, for $29.95, it's still a bargain compared to Zend or Nusphere.

Sorry for the unrelated posts, I'm just a very big fan of Mozilla and it's usage.