Re: 1.3 teaser

Thinine wrote:

Basically, I'd like to play around with 1.3, so where can I get a copy?

http://punbb.org/svn/punbb/branches/punbb-1.3-dev/

Hrmm, handy smile Would be easier if it's in a zip package tho tongue

Thinine & elbekko,

Rickard started an SVN repository because it was available on his Textdrive account. Before that, Rickard would handle PunBB from his own server, sort of how I go about my own projects. Transitioning to Trac takes some getting used to for a programmer who's meticulous about his code and has issues with committs that may break overall functionality.

When 1.3 is ready for beta testing, Rickard will provide zips for us theme, plugin, extension and integration developers to get a head start. I have 3 sites and 1 project waiting on 1.3 to be released, I'm as anxious as the next person but I'd rather have a nicely polished product than something that was rushed out the door.

PunBB 1.3 will usher in a new era, for all those posting with angst in their messages, I hope to see good things from you once we have a stable release smile

I would only use it to run on my localhost to see how it runs ^^

Ok, I downloaded it all tongue Have it running, but the style isn't loaded sad

Why are you wasting your time. There are no stylesheets with that version and most of the markup has been revised since then.

There are stylesheets with that version, and I don't really have anything to do tongue

hcgtv wrote:

Rickard started an SVN repository because it was available on his Textdrive account. Before that, Rickard would handle PunBB from his own server, sort of how I go about my own projects. Transitioning to Trac takes some getting used to for a programmer who's meticulous about his code and has issues with committs that may break overall functionality.

I still don't see the problem, but it's Rickard's choice. I would think that a meticulous programmer would also be interested in versioning, but I suppose he could run a private repository for that. But being able to make commits without completely breaking your project is trivial. Besides, having an open and accessible repository makes it easier for amateurs to get involved. Personally, I stay up-to-date with the WebKit project (engine that powers Apple's browser Safari) and report bugs as I use the product.

I'm aware that the state of subversion hasn't been all that great these last few months. It will be remedied when we commit the new markup and stylesheets.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Sorry for the offtopic, but what's the name of the font you're using in Notepad in that video, Rickard? I like it. smile

~Glyceryltrinitrat

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." --Albert Einstein

Glyceryltrinitrat: It's called Consolas. It's a new monospace font from Windows Vista.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

2 things... smile

First - Paul checking out the timeline I can see hard work being done. Keep up the good work. I am sure it is not just you doing work... but your name is everywhere on the timeline lol

Second - Concerning this hook system... I am guessing we can add extra hooks?? and how easy do you think this would be?? I am not saying that you will not cover everything you can, but just curious.

The hooks will be in there in the 1.3 release. However, you will be able to give requests on hooks that will be implemented if considered useful smile

The next question is whether it will be possible to write an extension to extend the extension system i.e. an extension which inserts extra hooks for other extensions.

115 (edited by Jansson 2006-05-26 11:53)

Paul wrote:

The next question is whether it will be possible to write an extension to extend the extension system i.e. an extension which inserts extra hooks for other extensions.

This is what I think:

In a way, yes. You could probably add the code for a hook in your extension, but it would just be located where the first hook is. However, you might want to include hooks into your extension for the ability to add extra functionality for the extension i.e build an extension on the extension, creating a dependancy on the first extension. Unclear? XD

I'm very impressed by the ease of use of the CURRENT PunBB release (1.2.12). But I missed several features, so I started looking for some kind of a roadmap - which does not exist, unfortunately.

Then I started searching and I stumbled upon this. That teaser in the first post is truly phenomenal. I can't wait to get my hands on the final release. I'd love to join the beta testing, but the problem is that my exams are coming up (June 8th), so I won't be able to do that. I really hope that PunBB 1.3 will be out by then, though I don't want to put any pressure on the developers: Just take your time wink.

Thank you!

Yet Another Happy PunBB Admin!

http://driverpacks.net/

Welcome Bashrat and good luck with the exams.

Paul wrote:

I would think the short answer is no, the extension system simply allows code to be inserted at pre-defined places, but i guess if you needed more hooks you could just tell the user to add them manually before installing the extension

I'm really waiting for a beta/final release. smile

Will the hook system work almost as in Phorum 5.1 (§ 1.3 Hook) ?

foxmask wrote:

Will the hook system work almost as in Phorum 5.1 (§ 1.3 Hook) ?

A Pun's dev would answer more appropriately, but it seems that way yes (it's also like the way Textpattern works for example).

Looks like it, yeah