1 (edited by Mr Puto 2006-03-11 23:33)

Topic: Updating Group ID Query

I already posted this a while back, but maybe I wasn't clear enough. Ok so I have a Junior Administrators mod im doing atm, and its like 90% complete except for this part:
I need to insert a group to group ID to 2..so I need to move every other group id up 1 in order for this to work. So what would be a proper query?

I already know how to make the new group, but I first need to move the other groups upward.

Re: Updating Group ID Query

do you have php myadmin?

yes i do, but see im making a mod for public release. and I want people to just click "install" on install_mod.php and it will do it for them.

YEAH STILL NEED HELP

Anyone? -.-

Something like this maybe? You should try it out...

$db->query("UPDATE ".$db->prefix."groups SET Id=Id+1");

6 (edited by Mr Puto 2006-03-12 21:43)

EDIT: nah, I tried this:

UPDATE groups SET g_id = g_id +1

and it gave me this error:

#1062 - Duplicate entry '2' for key 1

Ok, so that doesn't work... tongue Odd tho tongue

elbekko wrote:

Doesn't work because group_id is a key, meaning there cannot be more than 1 row with the same entry. The query will try to start with group_id 1, and make it 2. There is already a 2, so it throws an Error.

Reines wrote:
elbekko wrote:

Doesn't work because group_id is a key, meaning there cannot be more than 1 row with the same entry. The query will try to start with group_id 1, and make it 2. There is already a 2, so it throws an Error.

Thats what I thought, and couldn't you make it so it starts at the last group and moves them all up one, except for the admin group?

Indeed... Well, you could always try removing the key, doing this operation, and then resetting the key...

What a pain in the ass...

Is there a way to control the order of an UPDATE query? I've never heard of such a thing, but it would be handy for this kind of situation.

13 (edited by Smartys 2006-03-12 23:52)

mysql> update foo_groups set g_id=g_id+1 order by g_id desc;
Query OK, 6 rows affected (0.00 sec)
Rows matched: 6  Changed: 6  Warnings: 0

I have a couple extra groups, which is why it's 6 instead of 4 wink
But that's the query (although you also have to set the auto_increment value properly afterwards, or the next time you try to add a group you'll get an error: easiest way to do that is to try to insert a new row in the groups table after updating, but don't catch any errors it causes: just let the script continue to run)

Thats perfect. Thanks you Reines and Smartys!