1 (edited by gunny 2003-10-21 03:19)

Topic: Error: Unable to connect to MySQL server.

This is what I get:

Error: Unable to connect to MySQL server. Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2).

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the forum, or with my mysql database.  I really have no idea what I'm doing and any input is helpful.  I tried to do exactly what I did with www.69thcavalry.net, but this time it appears not to work.

Laugh now, its ok.

Through the awful grace of God

"Dude, CSS and XHTML are like two boys who are deeply in love.  They're perfect for each other, but no one can acccept it."

Re: Error: Unable to connect to MySQL server.

It's most likely so that the mysql is down, or there is a permission-thinigie with the mysql.sock file.
Check with your webhost to confirm its up and no other problems iwth mysql exist.

You can try and connect with another tool like phpmyadmin to be sure...

I have full access, but I can't find the mysql.sock file.

"Dude, CSS and XHTML are like two boys who are deeply in love.  They're perfect for each other, but no one can acccept it."

Try this in the console:

touch /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

and then chown it to the mysql-user:

chown user:group /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

Substitue user & group for what you run mysql as (usually mysql/mysql but your milage may vary)

5 (edited by gunny 2003-10-23 05:22)

You guys want to hear something funny?

I got it working, created the forum, blah, blah, blah.

Then I delete myself.

My forum is now headless.

:)

You'll have to manually add a user to the database or re-install.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Yeah, np.  I just recreated, I don't think the other member really minded.

http://www.onehorsetown.ca/

Hope you don't mind what I've done...

gunny wrote:

This is what I get:

Error: Unable to connect to MySQL server. Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2).

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the forum, or with my mysql database.  I really have no idea what I'm doing and any input is helpful.  I tried to do exactly what I did with www.69thcavalry.net, but this time it appears not to work.

Laugh now, its ok.

Hi,

Are you running your site on an Ensim with Apache? Its probably due to the high security settings which forces php to run as a cgi.

You need to tweak some settings to the Database server hostname as follows:-

Instead of localhost, you use 127.0.0.1 to connect at port 3306

Now i keep getting this error: An error was encountered

Error: Unable to connect to MySQL server. MySQL reported: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xx' (115).

xxx -- server ip address
something to do with punBB? probably not?