Topic: Subscription to forums (RSS & Email

I've searched and found several topics on the subject, but none that point to a solution that fits what I'm looking for.

The board I'm working on is mostly hidden from guests.  Only one forum is viewable to guests, while the other 20 are then viewable once a user has registered.

With this setup my feeds don't work.  Since entern.php, and the RSS mod by alexking are based on the feeds being viewable by guests, the only entries that are published in the feeds are those that lie in my "Welcome" forum for guests.  The category specific feed links are empty and give me a parse error.

does anyone know a way to make the feeds authenticate as a member so they will work?

If not, does anyone know how to allow users to subscribe via email to whole forums rather then just threads?

Re: Subscription to forums (RSS & Email

for rss feeds... i don't know a way to authenticate... but perhaps it exists...

I had the same problem few weeks ago so in a first time I have broken the guest restriction of the extern.php in order to allow my users to read feeds... it works fine but I guess you will understand that it is absolutely not recommanded as every body would so be able to read forums posts with the feeds !!

An another solution, as you said is to be notify globaly for a whole forum, and I will redirect you to an other post where this question has already been asked. As you will see, i'm working on this mod and will release it as soon as possible

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8556

WONDERFUL.  I've just added a post to that thread.

I love RSS, but it just sounds so complicated to get 401 auth to work.  At least for me, I'm a total PHP novice.

binou wrote:

I had the same problem few weeks ago so in a first time I have broken the guest restriction of the extern.php in order to allow my users to read feeds... it works fine but I guess you will understand that it is absolutely not recommanded as every body would so be able to read forums posts with the feeds !!

How did you do this?  I would totally use it as an interum solution.

Add my vote for a 'Subscribe to this forum' option, so that users may get an email once new topics or posts are added to a forum, to be part of punBB's core code.

Subscribing to a specific topic alone is useful, but subscribing to a forum is extra useful.

For example, my current web host has a support forum (using vBulletin) that has an 'Announcements' forum, where all sysadmin/ downtime/ maintenance tasks etc posts are made. All hosting customers are encouraged to subscribe to this forum to stay up to date, via email, with what is happening with the hosts servers. Very handy.

punBB can't do this, alas, in the absence of a 'subscribe to this forum' type feature. I know there are mods under development, and other ways to do this via RSS or other services, but it would be simplest and best if this was just a built-in feature in v1.3 smile

Email subscription is more useful than RSS options too, at least for me.

Here is the mod I have just released to be able to subscribe to a forum :

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=67058#p67058

Woo Hoo!  Thank you!