1 (edited by Zanno 2006-05-16 04:11)

Topic: why do you use <strong> instead of <b>

i know you just love valid html and all but since when is <b> no longer valid html

i thought this forum was all about being as small as possible and the fact that you'd waste 10 chars every single time you feel like bolding and unbolding something is absolutely nonsensical to me

2 (edited by Smartys 2006-05-16 10:32)

Re: why do you use <strong> instead of <b>

Probably something to do with this (you might have to register)
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/9344.htm

However, this is the most important part:

* <i> - Strictly a presentational element.
      If you want text to be italicized and not have any real semantic meaning, then wrap it in <i></i>.

* <b> - Strictly a presentational element.
      If you want text to be bold and not have any real semantic meaning, then wrap it in <b></b>.

* <em> - Strictly a structure element.
      If you want text to be spoken with emphasis using a speech reader, then wrap it in <em></em>.

* <strong> - Strictly a structure element.
      If you want text to be spoken with strong emphasis using a speech reader, then wrap it in <strong></strong>.

You probably should wait for Paul to confirm that that is actually the reason though tongue

The reason is that given by Smarty's.  Specifically a screen reader will voice strong and em tags with emphasis but will completely ignore bold tags. Having said that PunBB 1.2 uses strong too much and actually uses it when all thats required is a visual effect. The only place where a bold tag would be appropriate though is for bbcode but even then we really need bbcode for strong as well as bold. To use it anywhere else suggests that text should be styled in a particular way which might not be the case with some styles. A purely visual alternative to strong and em would actually be span rather than bold or italic tags. Its not just about validity its also about semantic  markup. Keeping page weight to a minimum is fine but not if it means reducing semantic value.

i don't think blind people post on internet forums

Zanno wrote:

i don't think blind people post on internet forums

1. Yes they do if the forum has been made accessible to them.

2. In the UK all websites which offer services to the public have to be accessible by law.

3. In any event, standards based design is as much about semantically correct markup as it is about valid markup i.e. using the right tag for the right job. If using the correct tags makes the page a little larger thats simply not of any importance.

I have wondered the same thing <b> seems much more concise than <strong>.   As far as blind posting - remember that is not just completely blind, but also sight impared - and yes, many of us may be come sight impared - if not now, perhaps as you get older.