Topic: Linux or Windows Server 2003??

Ok people...

Which would you choose and why?

If anyone knows a good site with detailed information for choosing either one it would be appreciated.

I understand that it may depend on what you want to run on it... but still would be interested in your thoughts.

Re: Linux or Windows Server 2003??

I would choose windows server only if I needed asp !

Any pitfalls with linux though? anything at all?

Well, I allway hear that Linux is better being a server and more powerfull.

فهد

2 for linux so far...

Linux it could be then...

Yes and go for Slackware .... At least I would hehe .... or even better you can go with Zenwalk which is Slackware derivate ...even better and they have server packages ready .... well slack too but maybe for beginner Zenwalk is better

Linux servers are generally cheaper and, in my experience at least, more reliable. You can also script and automate things (such as downloading package updates and running stat generating programs) much more easily, which is something you probably want to do on a server.

Linux it is...

Would anyone advise against this company? Fasthosts
and if so... who you recommend...

Thanks for your comments so far... much appreciated.

I recommend Resellerzoom.com .... You get reseller account for 5 bucks .... and you can host 50 domains

I was hoping for a UK host...

But that (Resellerzoom.com) seems a lot for your money... considering 3 pounds a month is nothing really.

I am with a host at present, which was £54 for the year. Unlimited bandwith, Unlimited storage, and so on. But I want a dedicated server so I can have much more control over it and run scripts hourly. Plus I was having issues with how reliable my Mysql DB was.

11 (edited by zaher 2006-05-19 17:28)

I am hosting my sites at realvaluehosting.com, thay offer windows and linux for same prices, but i always choose a linux.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Properly configured, either Linux or Windows should work fine.

I've always found it easier to install PHP or Perl apps on a Linux box, most instructions are geared towards a *nix environment. Even though a lot of developers nowadays are using a Windows XP machine for development, with something like XAMPP, the final testing is always done on a Linux box.

As time progresses and the Apache, MySQL and PHP camps get more entrenched in the Windows install as a service realm, I think it will get exciting for small and medium size businesses.

I personally feel, Linux is the better option compared to Windows. Though windows may look easy to use, For reliablity and speed, I feel Linux is always the best option.

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

StevenBullen wrote:

I am with a host at present, which was £54 for the year. Unlimited bandwith, Unlimited storage, and so on. But I want a dedicated server so I can have much more control over it and run scripts hourly. Plus I was having issues with how reliable my Mysql DB was.

Do you really need a dedicated server? If you just want more control you might want to consider a virtual machine instead - such as those offered by Bytemark (I use mine for backup mail/DNS, it's very reliable and the staff are helpful).

Hi,
I am new to setting up BB's. PunBB looks very good and easy to install. I just want to know whether PunBB supports LDAP.
Thanks,
Hira

linux server are easy to configure. and updating them are pretty much getting easy now days!
so my vote on linux.

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!