Topic: Ubuntu-fr.org - New version ;)

Brand new! wink
http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org

Re: Ubuntu-fr.org - New version ;)

Damn, very nice and quite a lot of people online.

Go Debian based systems!!!

Very nice indeed. Feel free to add it to http://stats.punres.org/ smile

hcgtv wrote:

Damn, very nice and quite a lot of people online.

Go Debian based systems!!!

Yep. Very nice. Congratulations.

It's not surprising that it is popular.

A sure way to get a busy site is to help people solve their Linux problems.

I think probably half the traffic on the Internet is people trying to find out how to solve various Linux related bugs and issues. Forget about bit-torrent and P2P as traffic generators!

This is from someone who's been a long-time RH9 user, but who has also spent almost the last fortnight installing and re-installing (open source) CentOS and (open source) RH FC4 on a web server (read - about 10 times), trying to track down an obscure IP tables bug that prevented all the (open source) firewalls I tried from working on the (open source) VPS platform I was using...

I must have visited thousands of sites in the process of tracking down various RPM's, downloading and configuring variations of firewall software, tracking down iptables info etc etc etc ad nauseum.

In my Linux misery,  I found plenty of company.

It's a goldmine for Linux help site developers, if you can bear the pain of dealing with countless hordes of people in desperate pain and confusion.

More power to you Yann!

"It's a goldmine for Linux help site developers, if you can bear the pain of dealing with countless hordes of people in desperate pain and confusion."

That's just because you never tried Ubuntu... Ha ha ha tongue

I tried ubuntu couple of months ago .. It was pain in the ass full of bugs.... I left it behind and again settled  with slackware. Lately I am peaking at zenwalk, which is derivate of slackware and it is looking good. Very active development

As for the forum it is looking great .. thumbs up ... didn't know france have so much ubuntu lovers big_smile

sirena, when I began down the Linux road, I settled on Redhat, the easiest at the time to get installed.

Since then I've tried every distro out there and finally settled on Debian. Sarge is as stable as you can get, even though the versions of some software may not be cutting edge, it's been very good to me for headless servers. I run Sid on my home workstation/server and I like being able to try out the latest and the greatest.

Linux is yes, still a case where you need to find obscure how-tos or Google till your eyes can't no more to see if someone has solved a problem similar to yours. But it's getting better, easier and less often, at least for me.

I'll never move away from Gentoo smile

ahh yess .... compiled from source .... there is no speed limit big_smile

Yann wrote:

Brand new! wink
http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org

I love them two !
Jolie feuille de style et très bonne distribution smile

Ok.. i have to admint gentoo rocks.  I tryed it once  and I couldnt belive the speed of my own computer, but i got stucked somtimes with little things... i needed an easyer thing as it takes some time to get to know how does a unix-based SO works... actually i still know very little about it, so... UBUNTU!! oh yes, it made things so damn easy and doable by a nwebie like me wink

The forums look great... a lot more like the english ones wich run vbulletin. I like the new look, but it allways feels like "the old version was cool beacause..."
Well... the old style was more old-scool wich i think is cool, but those who dont inovate end up sinking. So, well done. Punbb is really catching the so-called "starndard boards", with the advantage of being really faster.

Yann,

I noticed that the main Ubuntu site and the English forums were down today, do you know what happened?

Just to followup, looks like there were power issues that brought down some servers. This heat wave is causing more than sweaty humans.

While perusing the Ubuntu Enlish forum, I came across this post on why Vbulletin was chosen:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=176622

I'm glad Yann picked PunBB for his forum.

By the way, I'm typing this in Ubuntu. I'm spending most of my computing day using it and I plan on going full time with it soon.