1 (edited by AlanCollier 2006-05-03 13:23)

Topic: Converting phpBB to punBB (n00b question, sorry)

I'm impressed with punBB and am looking to migrate my phpBB messageboard but have a few questions:

1. Is there a conversion script that will also copy across the private message system and all old messages?
2. Will links to posts look the same? The board is quite old so the 'net and messageboard are riddled with links back to threads on the messageboard, are these links formatted exactly the same and thus will they still work?

What other snags have people experienced when migrating?

Thanks

--Alan

Re: Converting phpBB to punBB (n00b question, sorry)

1. Yes. You have to install the PM mod on PunBB before converting.

2. They are slightly different, you can use htaccess to redirect the out of date urls.

Great news.

I've searched this forum but can't find the .htaccess soultion, does anyone have it handy?
I'm converting from phpBB urls.

Thanks

--Alan

yes, i have it here and did the same yesterday, it is easy to do, just go for it , really really this is so easy its amazing how easy it is , i wonder how they do it so easy when others have problems , very many problems unlike here where there is not much problem at all so just goo on and do it like me its indeed easy , enough babbling, bye and good luck this should be no problem for you and i am sure you can do it so just go on i think it can be done in about 30 minutes that is fast at least that is how long it took me too do it so you shouldn't need much more to do it which isn't much compared to all other  stuff well in fact it is everything but much well i talk too much so i stop talking now good luck and bye and tell if you succeeded with your mission i think you can do  it just believe in yourself ok that's it will talk to you later

Please can you post the lines I need to insert into my .htaccess file to redirect old phpBB links to a punBB messageboard.

Thanks

--Alan

tuntenhobel wrote:

yes, i have it here and did the same yesterday, it is easy to do, just go for it , really really this is so easy its amazing how easy it is , i wonder how they do it so easy when others have problems , very many problems unlike here where there is not much problem at all so just goo on and do it like me its indeed easy , enough babbling, bye and good luck this should be no problem for you and i am sure you can do it so just go on i think it can be done in about 30 minutes that is fast at least that is how long it took me too do it so you shouldn't need much more to do it which isn't much compared to all other  stuff well in fact it is everything but much well i talk too much so i stop talking now good luck and bye and tell if you succeeded with your mission i think you can do  it just believe in yourself ok that's it will talk to you later

Thats just dribble. Use the full stop key once in a while sad

Sorry to nag, but can anybody help me with a .htaccess entry to redirect links to threads on my old phpbb board to the same threads on my punbb board.

I don't know what to put in the .htaccess file and don't want to spend hours reinventing the wheel!

Thanks

--Alan

Bump! Sorry, I still need help with this.. (see above)

I don't think they keep the same topic IDs, so I don't know how easy that is