Topic: YouOS - an operating system... with a better approach

Well... I was pretty impressed the first time I see it.

Check it out here... YouOS

From YouOS wrote:

YouOS is an experiment in a new kind of computing platform.

* Access from anywhere.
      Create a document at an office computer, drive home, continue right from where you left off.

* Built-in sharing.
      Instantly share music, documents and more with your buddies.

* An application community.
      Everyone from professional software engineers to highschool age programmers can participate at no cost. Choose from a growing list of over 150 applications developed by our users.

Maybe google will enter this market... I think one day sites driven simliar to this will be the future.

Re: YouOS - an operating system... with a better approach

StevenBullen wrote:

I think one day sites driven simliar to this will be the future.

I agree, the future desktop is the web. YouOS looks really good, wonder how it scales?

I've been playing with eyeOS

just because you can does not always mean you should.

i see it being hugely (is that even a word) useful as a development (or office for the non-developer) environment, but not ever as a desktop os (unless you are like my wife where browsing the internet and reading email is the total sum of your computer usage).  can you imagine what you and it would have to have to be able to run a game like battlefield or oblivion on that type of platform? 

its a cool concept thats been around for a long time.  i dont see anyone doing it well enough to catch widespread fire.

4 (edited by Tobi 2006-07-23 15:38)

What will always keep me from using things like these is:
They give it fo free. So I ask myself - how do  they pay the traffic,  development costs, hosting?
Just Google Ads? Doesn't sound lik a business plan.
So either the will surprise their users one day  by switching to paid mode - or they sell the data that they collect.
Because this is the crucial point of all related systems: Your data is out of your control.
I may be paranoid but this I will not accept. I better stick with a notebook if I want to have access to my data anywhere i go smile

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

My main issues with this kind of thing are, like Tobi mentioned, lack of control over my information, as well as the fact that every once in awhile I don't have access to the internet (gasp!), either do to an outage or simply the lack of an available network (I use a laptop).

Sure, maybe in the future the web might dominate the desktop, but I believe that at least for now, such services have yet to reach their prime time.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Well, we're forgetting about the Intranet. The barrier to run your own home web server is pretty low these days. Grab an old PC and run Linux on it or use a package like XAMPP for your Windows PC.

I agree, I don't care for my data to be hosted somewhere but the technologies are freely available to run them yourself. Grab a domain name from DynDNS, run an update client and you can access your system from anywhere.

hcgtv wrote:

Well, we're forgetting about the Intranet. The barrier to run your own home web server is pretty low these days. Grab an old PC and run Linux on it or use a package like XAMPP for your Windows PC.

Good point there (that actually sounds like a fun thing to do), although MadHatter's point still holds true: gaming would be a problem with this kind of setup.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.