Re: FAQ: Copyright

I'm personally leaving the copyright as a "thank you" to the effort put in creating a very good board.

The only reason I'd consider removing the copyright and/or 'Powered by punBB' is for 'security by obscurity' reasons.

I used to run a Mambo CMS site and had the usual 'Powered by Mambo' etc attribution down the bottom for quite a while. Unfortunately, I had to deal with quite a few pests running Mambo-specific hack attempts against the site. Some of them almost killed the site. It was a pain.

I got rid of the Mambo attribution, never used any Mambo default themes, set up SEF URLs, etc. By implementing these disguises (and a range of other protections) life got a lot easier. Potential attackers now couldn't easily identify which tools/vectors to use against the site.

I know 'security by obscurity' is not a good defence against a determined attacker, but for casual attackers it can be effective, at least as one of your defence layers.

I am still evaluating punBB for use in a new site I am developing, but so far punBB seems to have a smaller 'surface area' for attack than a bloated nightmare like Mambo, so this may not be a useful step to take with punBB, I concede. But I am inclined to always keep this approach as a security option.

sirena wrote:

The only reason I'd consider removing the copyright and/or 'Powered by punBB' is for 'security by obscurity' reasons.

Browsing the HTML source a little would reveal the bb system your run, just don't show the version number on your forums footer and keep your board always up to date.

I alterend mine a while back to:

When speed is essential, use PunBB.

30 (edited by s0me0ne 2006-05-24 03:52)

sirena wrote:

just make an image with the copyright info and give it a obscure file name and empty alt="" and you could also use rel="nofollow" for the link it wont get picked up for security reasons also

hi there..... can i change :

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002?2005 Rickard Andersson

to............

Powered by
+++++++++++
+ PUNBB LOGO +
+++++++++++
© Copyright 2002?2005

Sure, but if you want to rewrite the copyright notice, I would prefer it if you removed it completely and just left the logo (with a link to punbb.org).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I have seen a forum without anycopyright notice what-so-ever... who do I tell?

There's nobody to tell, they can remove the "Powered by PunBB, copyright Rickard" bit if they choose to after Rickard asked them not to: if they come here for help, they'll be asked why tongue

ah kk..

Rickard, is this OK mate?

http://www.bik3r.com

though its released under GPL, considering the requests here, I sincerly feel punbb should charge may be $20/30 for copyright removal. It will help punbb get some more funds and gud for those users who do not want copyright to be displayed

I am a new kid here, but just my .0000002 cents big_smile

By licence, he can't (well he can, but ask only, nothing more). He can do this for support, but then someone would have to give support each and every time.

I rather find the current way of things quite good, I don't see why would someone want to change it.

http://dev.punbb.org/changeset/612
wink

Huhuhu.

Well, I wasn't really focused on the copyright notice. For me, it's the same as the "Powered by PUnBB" notice. I think sometimes one can want or need to remove it, or to alter it (not to attribute it to himself, but for example I've altered it to translate it into French); but if not (and most people don't need to) one can let Rickard's name on.

I was just pointing out that the discussion about copyright notice is effectively moot, since it's not in the next version tongue

Dave wrote:

It's true. Punbb is much faster than other forums out there.

Some guest wrote:

When I'll finish translating the PunBB Hebrew and release it, is it ok to write 1 line after Version 1.0.1 (instead of Rikard Anderson thingy) Translated into Hebrew by the PunBBHeb team?

LOL, I finished translating it yesterday.
The address is http://punbbheb.official.ws

Check it out.

Regards,
Dan,
PunBB Hebrew translator.

"AmusingDomains" wrote:
Dave wrote:

It's true. Punbb is much faster than other forums out there.

PunBB is my favorite, but you guys might check out Vanilla, too. Very good forum.

Check Maid maid service

Smartys wrote:

I was just pointing out that the discussion about copyright notice is effectively moot, since it's not in the next version tongue

does that mean people are openly allowed to remove it from previous versions? as it is removed now from 1.3 - shouldn't forum owners be asked to state somewhere on their site, like a "Credits" page or something, that PunBB is copyright of PunBB.org or something like that instead? or is Rickard and the PunBB team happy with just the "Powered by PunBB" notice?

anyways, the main reason i am posting is that i have a question regarding the "Powered by PunBB" notice, i am not sure if anyone has asked this in a different thread, but i stumbled upon the following image at http://gtmcknight.com/buttons/operated.php:

http://img212.echo.cx/img212/3592/punbb8as.png

what would be the thought of using that button on the footer, linking to http://punbb.org/ of course and with alt text of "PunBB Powered" or something instead of the normal text? i think the button looks nice and compliments sites that use the XHTML 1.0, CSS valid buttons also. i can understand if it is not acceptable as it is an image rather than pure text as before, but i just had to ask smile

You'd have to change it in footer.php.

It doesn't look like a change with which Rickard or any of the other developers would take issue, but I can't speak for them for certain.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:

It doesn't look like a change with which Rickard or any of the other developers would take issue ...

Correct.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Ok guys, thanks.

Chris Powell wrote:

Hi i'm trying to get this to display in the footer exactly as it's shown but not having any luck whatsoever

© 2007 Christopher-Powell.co.uk ? All rights reserved ®
Design by Karl Schapp | Modified by Chris Powell
Portal / Forums Powered by PunBB

How do i do this?

try this http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=3078

cheers, but i can't get it to look exactly like that because of the width limit of the text box. i'll just leave Rickards copyright info as mines already on my homepage anyway.

thanks though.