Topic: codeplex.com from Microsoft

Microsoft with Open Source projects

http://www.codeplex.com

Why i feel there is new Religions come to this world, and more hateful between developers, or my feeling is wrong (i hope so).

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Re: codeplex.com from Microsoft

Sounds like something you buy popcorn at wink

Microsoft is a bit late to the party, if they would have taken this approach a decade ago, then things might be different today. Instead they dominated every aspect of the Windows platform and forced a lot of programmers out of the share of the pie and into the arms of Open Source.

microsoft has several open source projects (and have for a while).  they're also in the business of making money and open source isnt a good model for "average" propritary software (which they have a lot of).

it really boils down to the point of what is open source used for?  is it used to run your website because you cant afford the time or cost of a purchased solution, or is it because you want to learn how to do this or that, or is it something else.  a lot of open source software is public because it is good and the author felt that it should be shared with the world so people dont go re-inventing the wheel.  IMO microsoft has never invented a wheel to begin with, so whats the point of publishing or being involved with that movement?  actually I cant say that they havent invented a wheel, because they have, just not in the way most would expect it.  their wheel is people buying their software.  they'll do whatever it takes to pimp their goods.  open source (on their technologies) is a good means of promoting their products. 

If you were to take the volume of open source projects built with C, C++, PHP or perl, and suddenly move them to C#, you would need windows to run them (or mono / portable .net... but lets face it, microsoft's implementation of .net is far better in most aspects).  That is serious revenue for them, and thats the motivation behind the current movement.  It is not the genuine feeling that the world can benefit from what they're offering, its that they have a lot to gain by driving developers to their brand of wonderful.  They're building a community of skilled developers who develop on their technology, and they're making their development technology easy and powerful to use.  it would be like apache costing money, PHP being free and all the projects that run on apache/php being open source and free.  that would make the apache foundation quite a bit of money.

in the end, with microsoft, it will always be about the money.  look at how badly they hate google.

MadHatter wrote:

It will always be about the money

Not just with microsoft, it is every thing.

My situation is, we start to see some one say like that (if your are not "Microsoft follower" keep out of our sites).
and if you mention you are PHP programmer (or pascal), thay will hate you.

or you heare "Look at your site it is PHP, are you stupid, why not use .NET"

I mean for sample: what if try to open a new project there with PHP or FreePascal or some thing not related to microsoft, what the reactions

hcgtv wrote:

Sounds like something you buy popcorn at

not Popcorn it is Potato big_smile

Our agent ask me "Is your project is .NET if not i can not sale it",
i answered him:Why you care about .NET, you must care about Speed, Power, Quality etc
Our agent: I do not know, it is just so (bad english)

you see it is like a Fate in real relagions

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.