Topic: I hate computers!

Well, not really, but I hate computer hardware. 10 years ago, computers hardware just worked. The problem back then was software. These days, the situation is the reverse. Software works most of the time, but computer hardware fails all the time.

The reason for my rant is that my main harddrive failed the other day. Thankfully, I had a fairly recent backup. Anyway, I went out and bought a new harddrive and that worked for a few hours. Then the drive just started disappearing on and off. Sometimes, when I boot into Windows, it's there, but then after an hour, it just vanishes. Sometimes it isn't even there when I boot. I've checked the cables and connections and I don't think that's the problem. To make a long story short, I get fed up with this crap and ordered some new hardware. My current setup sounds like a 747 during take-off anyway, so I figured what the hell. I probably won't get all the parts until sometime next week though.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 nForce4 4DDR-DIMM 3PCI 3PCIe SATA Raid Audio GB-LAN Firewire Socket939 ATX
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz Socket 939, 1MB L2 (San Diego core)
Video card: Gigabyte GeForce 7600GT Silent Pipe II Dual-DVI 256MB
Power supply: Tagan Easycon 480W
CPU cooler: Scythe Ninja PLUS
Cooling paste: Arctic Silver 5

Gotta love the name of that CPU cooler. Someone must have been drinking when they thought of that.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: I hate computers!

tongue Indeed, hardware gives alot problems these days...  You new setup looks nice though ^^

I chose that processor mainly because it doesn't radiate a rediculous amount of heat. It might not be the fastest, but I really don't care anymore. The icing on the cake is that it's dirt cheap.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

What brands/models were the failed disks?

Just so I know what to avoid.

Knowing Rickard, probably IKEA.

Paul wrote:

Knowing Rickard, probably IKEA.

AHAAHHAAAAA!!!

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

lol

That's very similar to a system I put together: http://bertgarcia.com/specs/

I assume you're going to put in SATA drives?

9 (edited by MadHatter 2006-07-13 20:50)

my main dev box did the same thing about 7 months ago (lost every piece of code I'd ever written and all the pics of my son since he was born).  I ended up getting the top of the line computer (mmm battlefield2 in hi-def).  my system cranks out heat like the sun (and its even liquid cooled).

10 (edited by Jansson 2006-07-13 22:02)

My CPU cooler:
http://www.gtek.se/img_prod/CNPS7700-Cu_1.jpg

It's GOD tongue

Jansson: I have that one with Copper and Aluminium tongue

http://www.bigfastpowerful.net/images/osborne1big.gif

Hmmm. I think it's time I upgraded my computer...

Yeah. I have just ordered a new computer too. smile

1 st Black Thunder Miditower Black 400W ATX + Zalman cooling

1 st Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra 4DDR-DIMM 3PCI 4PCIe SATA Raid Audio GB-LAN Socket939 ATX

1 st AMD Athlon64 Venice 90nm 3500+ 2.2GHz 512kb Boxed (with cpu-cooler!) Socket939

1 st Corsair VS1GB400C3 Value Select 2x1024Mb Kit (tot. 2048Mb/2Gb) Dual DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin CL3

1 st Western Digital Caviar WD2000JS 200Gb 7200rpm 8Mb cache SATA2

1 st Western Digital Caviar WD2500JS 250Gb 7200rpm 8Mb cache SATA2

1 st NEC ND-3550 Dual-Layer DVD +RW/R -RW/R 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 48X CDR 32X CDRW BLACK/SVART bulk IDE

1 st Leadtek WinFast GeForce 7900GT 256Mb DDR3 HDTV-out DUAL DVI SLI-ready RETAIL PCI Express

I hope it will arrive soon. smile

Your Athlon could've been a nice 4800+, if you want it to go with the rest of your machine... tongue

Looking nice big_smile

15 (edited by capaldi 2006-07-18 14:02)

i hate computers too. not only hardware, but alllllllllllllllll. forumssss included!  lol

i managed to crash two harddrives, one cd-burner and one usb memory stick during the same god damn week a month ago or so... when things starts rolling down hill, they dont stop...

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation - Oscar Wilde

Well, I've got the new hardware up and running, but now my broadband decided to crap out on me. Sigh.

18 (edited by elbekko 2006-07-25 09:36)

Slap it I say.

Well I for one am also fed up with computers. Mostly because of hardware issues. But I think the problem lies in that we build our own computers from components. There are no (extensive) tests or compatability checks before the build, and that's why all of these little or big problems keep popping up.

I'm either going to buy a new pc from a large manufacturer like Dell, or follow my artistic vein and buy a Macbook. I recently bought a Mac mini for my girlfriend, and it's a really sweet machine. Everything just works.

Aftonbörsens skapare. Var med och starta något roligt och stort du med!

I've always built my computers myself and everything works fine for years (knock on wood smile ). Sometimes you just get a defected hardware, the same thing can happen on a dell too ...

http://www.info-mob.com/forum/ - Croatian forum only, don't bother if you don't speak Croatian :)

I've never had any issues with hardware compatibility, only software =/

yeah. I want a computer that works perfect. But that will never happen. sad

Google builds it's own servers.

In the old days, I only purchased Compaq equipment for myself and my clients. Never had a problem, these systems were rock solid, heck I still have one machine running daily.

Today, I prefer to build my own, the quality of systems has gone downhill fast. My laptops are the only thing I buy from a name brand and I've had good luck with Gateway. I keep an eye on my local Best Buy for old inventory and I've picked up 2 laptops for a very good price.

As for a perfect computer, get yourself an AS/400 smile

hcgtv wrote:

My laptops are the only thing I buy from a name brand and I've had good luck with Gateway.

My experience has been awfully different from yours. Granted, I've only used one Gateway laptop, but it had and/or has a defective CD burner, LCD, and AC adaptor. I guess I was just unlucky.

On the other hand, my brother's college gave it to him for free, so I'm not too worried. smile

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

25 (edited by Limber 2006-07-25 21:01)

hcgtv wrote:

my local Best Buy

Best Buy rocks, bought some stuff there when I was driving through NC actually smile ... unfortunately we don't have Best Buy in Sweden. Our electronics supermarkets suck big time...

Anyway, what I meant wasn't hardware incompatability as in conflicts where stuff wont even work at all, I was talking about little glitches or problems that might snowball on you after a while... I'm more or less decided on getting a Macbook now btw. My ThinkPad X31 is working flawlessly though, it'll always be my link to the windows universe!

As for the AS/400 I wouldn't know... I'm too young. But we have a couple of Crays like this one

http://parallel.ru/images/computers/cray1_big.jpg

set up as monumental sofas on my campus. smile

Aftonbörsens skapare. Var med och starta något roligt och stort du med!