Topic: Selling MODs.. im i allowed to?

I been working on a mod that is very useful to everyone who uses punbb. So, i was wondering, once the mod is complete, im i allowed to seel the mod?

I PM'd Rickard Andersson about this, he hasnt replied, so can anyone assist me with this issue please?

Multi-Forums Mod for PunBB (Host Unlimited PunBB Forums)
Download This Mod
Signup Demo - Admin Control Panel

Re: Selling MODs.. im i allowed to?

btw, i asked about this at punres.com but i havent recieved a final answer to my quesiton yet. lolz.

Download This Mod

Yes you have, I've said it to you several times there tongue
Yes, you can sell it. You can charge as much or as little as you want for it. However, you must give the full source code of it to everyone who buys it, and anyone who buys it is allowed to redistribute it for as much or as little as they want.
Here's an example:
I make a mod. I sell it for $40 a copy. I sell a copy. The person I sold it to turns around and sets up a site selling it for $30 (or just gives it away). THAT is what can happen

Buts thats not right. This is a corupt in the GPL licencing system. I just dun get it.

Why should someone resell my script without my permission? isnt that piracy?

Download This Mod

That's the GPL, the source will remain Open for all time wink

latheesan wrote:

Buts thats not right. This is a corupt in the GPL licencing system. I just dun get it.

I don't think the licence is the part to attach the "corupt" to in this case...

latheesan wrote:

Why should someone resell my script without my permission? isnt that piracy?

How about all the punBB code you are using (or relying on). How much did you pay for that?

As has been pointed out here and at punres you can't take GPL'd code and unGPL it. That is what you are suggesting.  Read the comments in the APM_Example plugin. It is described in there quite nicely.

AMP_Example.php wrote:
##
##  6. Since plugin scripts are included from the PunBB script
##     admin_loader.php, you have access to all PunBB functions and
##     global variables (e.g. $db, $pun_config, $pun_user etc).
##
##  7. Do your best to keep the look and feel of your plugins' user
##     interface similar to the rest of the admin scripts. Feel free to
##     borrow markup and code from the admin scripts to use in your
##     plugins. If you create your own styles they need to be added to
##     the "base_admin" style sheet.
##
##  8. Plugins must be released under the GNU General Public License or
##     a GPL compatible license. Copy the GPL preamble at the top of
##     this file into your plugin script and alter the copyright notice
##     to refrect the author of the plugin (i.e. you).
##

Perhaps that clears things up a little? From what you have said I don't think you are making a plugin but a list of someone else's code to change (or more likely, the file with the changes already made) that reflects your modifications. Did you read the GPL stuff at the top of that file?  Every one that I have seen has the GPL notice in it.

Or perhaps I just don't understand the problem, wouldn't be the first time...

Mark

Thanks Mark for clearing things out. I finally get this GPL thing and you are correct, i am not creating a pluggin, instead im making a "MOD" for the punbb script. Also, im not making a list of someone else code, instead im making a MOD that has the same concept of someone else who orignally made it for a different forum software.

Im 70% complete and would like to release it for free (under GPL thingy). Cant wait ^_^;

Download This Mod

latheesan wrote:

Im 70% complete and would like to release it for free (under GPL thingy). Cant wait ^_^;

glad you "came around" big_smile

what will this mod do?

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

9 (edited by latheesan 2006-02-13 00:11)

Hey Dr.Jeckyl,

sorry for the late reply,

visit this link and you'll find out big_smile - http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=62234

Download This Mod

Me saying this now is probably of little use but you could always ask for donations, a lot of people are happy to donate say $10 for a quality piece of software.

check out dates wink

I like people that work a donation button.  If I find their script/code useful and use it on a regular basis I think it's worth my money in terms of a donation. wink

Erm...You don't have to release any mods under GPL...as long as you do not use any portion of the punbb source code. Because of the way punbb modding works all you are doing is either releasing your own code, or releasing instructions as to modify gpled code...

Think about it like this...every time someone tells you how to modify some code for punbb on this forum...their post is not gpled...so why would your readme file etc be?

I enjoy pie :)