1 (edited by hankwang 2006-08-09 11:38)

Topic: What editor do you use for php?

I have been customizing my copy of punbb a bit and I keep wondering how Rickard and other php programmers deal with their sourcecode?

I have been using emacs for over 10 years now, because it knows syntax and indentation rules for most programming languages. But with php it gets quite confused because of the mixing of HTML and PHP's C-like syntax, even within single lines. Moreover, it appears to me that programmers nowadays like to use extremely long lines of code. Either I have to use an editor which cuts off the right part of the line (which means I have to do horizontal scrolling all the time while looking at the code) or let the editor wrap around long lines, which means the indentation gets messed up. Am I old-fashioned with my preference for lines that are max 80 or maybe 120 characters long?

So what is the recommended software for editing punbb code?

P.S. I am a long-term Linux user in case you didn't guess that from my emacs usage. smile

Re: What editor do you use for php?

I use Ultraedit. It is, in my opinion, the most complete text editor for Windows. It's a bit expensive though. I've been looking for a free replacement, but I have to find anything that can match Ultraedit.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I use Dreamweaver on Windows and Zend Studio on Linux (I can't run that pile of java junk on Windows tongue). Dreamweaver really is great, as it has many good functions but isn't too bloated smile

4 (edited by Tobi 2006-08-09 11:17)

I'm extremely happy with Kate. It's Linux/KDE only though so I don't know if this is a big help for you.
It does dynamic line wrapping without destroying the indentation!
It has grat network  support, if you have ftp/ssh access you can open/save on remote machines. Along with the bookmarking system this makes life a lot easier if you have many sites to maintain.
It does mixed syntax highlighting for PHP/HTML as well, it has word completion (handy when you keep forgetting the name of that function you ust wrote.. smile )
For mouse junkies it has good drag&drop support as well.
It's pretty much like Ultraedit without the fee.
I believe it comes with most Linux live CDs featuring KDE so you can give it a try.

I use Dreamweaver on Windows and Zend Studio on Linux (I can't run that pile of java junk on Windows tongue). Dreamweaver really is great, as it has many good functions but isn't too bloated

What I don't like is that they're both very expensive.
Zend Studio is good though, I like the PHP function browser.
Dreamweaver has limits when you start separating your code from the HTML in a strict manner.

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Notepad++ is really nice.. And free smile

I can't say I'm much of a PHP programmer (or programmer at all, for that matter), but I do my coding in SciTE. It's available for both Windows and Linux, and like Notepad++ it's based upon Scintilla.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

This is what I use depending on where I'm at:

Windows: UltraEdit-32, Komodo
Linux: Gedit, Kate, Quanta+

zend studio

Textpad and sometimes Ultraedit.
Topstyle Pro also handles php fairly well.

TextMate on OS X.

11 (edited by Frank H 2006-08-09 15:40)

Eclipse (alot like zend studio, but it costs nothing, allows cleartyped truetype fonts (and it seems like the zend guys are helping out aswell))

Notepad 2 is what I use.  It's also FREE.  smile

MadHatter wrote:

zend studio

dito.

14 (edited by Ruckus 2006-08-11 17:29)

Edit Pad Pro.

Edit: Thought some one might like a screenie of it: http://www.upit.be/uploads/images/epp7782.png

Thats my own syntax coloring scheme, the default has a white background, and i find when coding for several hours the white background starts to hurt my eyes tongue

Also i found when i tried it on linux, the linux port for it was not as good as the windows version. On linux i generally end up using nano tongue (You can turn syntax highlighting on for it tongue)

If UltraEdit is that good, $40 don't seem much.

Bluefish http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html
It runs on everything but Windows. (I'm running it on Linux, Debian Sid / Kanotix)

SciTE
Beats gedit any day IMO.

Jesus has changed your life. Save changes? (Y/N)

18 (edited by quaker 2006-08-11 22:42)

ok guys here is a free software for editing php..
php designer 2005
http://www.mpsoftware.dk/

PHP Designer 2006 Beta
PHP DESIGNER is a powerful freeware IDE for coding PHP for both professional and novice alike.

Designed to help accelerating and enhance the process of edit, debug, analyze and publish PHP scripts all wrapped into a sophisticated streamlined interface!

Features

All-in-one editor to edit, debug, analyze and publish PHP scripts
Numerous of enhancements for developer deployment and productivity
Syntax highlighting and support for PHP, HTML, XML, CSS, JavaScript, Java, Perl, JavaScript, VB, C#, Java & SQL
Automatic indentation and insertion of brackets
Automatic code completion while typing
Great performance in speed and size
Sophisticated streamlined and intuitive interface
User-friendly development environment that is comfortable both for beginners and experienced programmers
Tabbed multi-document interface
Fully customizable
Integration with the PHP manual available from php.net with quick keyword search
Localhost preview
Simple external browser integration with Internet Explorer, Netscape, Firefox and Opera
Todo Manager
Project Manager
FTP
Code Libraries
Class Browser
Templates
Snippet Support
http://www.mpsoftware.dk/phpdesigner.php

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

tried that one, never really stuck with me.

Jesus has changed your life. Save changes? (Y/N)

quaker wrote:

ok guys here is a free software for editing php..
php designer 2005

I used that quite a bit until I switched to Eclipse, that has (or at least had) better auto completion (also for variables you've made and such, not only the stock php functions)

i use notepad2...
i am satisfied with sintax highlight.
but i have to confess that after wachin this video
http://www.symfony-project.com/tutorial … _ajax.html
i only think of geting a text editor with that kind of auto text.

i tryed ultra edit but couldnt find any other interesting features besides column mode selection...
Can anybody point me the big features of ultra-edit?

PS:Frank... luleå, sweden... that's damn far away from anything but snow wink

Thanks all for the comments. I will look in the Linux-compatible options next time I do some punbb hacking. But I'm not sure I can part with the emacs keybindings that are hardwired into my brain. smile

To Ruckus: that is indeed an "interesting" color scheme you have in Edit Pad Pro. Deep blue on a black background, your eyes must be genetically modified if you find that relaxing to the eye. smile But I also see that you use long lines and therefore need horizontal scrolling, something I find incredibly annoying. Sometimes I do "view source" on a web page to see how the designer did something and that's not easy if it is in a couple of 2000-character long lines. I personally also find automatic word wrapping like in wordprocessors (I rarely use them) to be mildly annoying when I am copyediting a paragraph and my mental map of where the things are in the paragraph that need work needs constant adjustment because I added a few words to the beginning of the paragraph.

with most of the editors you can turn on and off the word wrap... even windows notepad has that option

pedrotuga wrote:

with most of the editors you can turn on and off the word wrap.

The problem for me is that I don't like either alternative. Either the lines are cut off (impossible to read how the code works) or the lines are folded around (hard to read unless the line wrapping is really smart, and in any case for me unpleasant to modify).

It's a matter of taste I guess.

if we all stick to the 80 column rule there's no need for word wrapping.