Re: What editor do you use for php?

MadHatter wrote:

if we all stick to the 80 column rule there's no need for word wrapping.

You know how annoying that is? =/

especially on a 20.1 inch wide screen monitor. 

placing open braces on a newline does the same for me, but if you're working for die hard C coders, then going beyond that 80 column can cause serious bodily harm.

MadHatter wrote:

especially on a 20.1 inch wide screen monitor. 

placing open braces on a newline does the same for me, but if you're working for die hard C coders, then going beyond that 80 column can cause serious bodily harm.

Heheh. Even more on a 21.3" monitor... ah well =P I code my way...

Well, I normally keep my code to max 100 columns wide and test the code in a separate (browser) window NEXT to the programming window, or keep several windows open with code in different files.

the last company I worked for had class and method names so long that when we tried to dynamically load an assembly (.net) and reflectively use it, we'd get an assembly type load exception because the class name (which was implemented as a singleton, and its singleton accessor was equally long named) exceeded 256 characters.

we did systems integrations and would often go out on services projects and part of that was training them how to do their integration using our software.  I had to author the training material, and let me tell you how  hard it was to paste a class name (with any method call or singleton reference) with a class name of 256 characters.  it ended up being such a small font that it wasnt readable in the final print media.

On osx, I feel that TextWrangler in combination with Cyberduck(ftp) is the best solution for editing any online code. Plus its all free.

For FTP on OS X, I like Transmit much better.

Notepad of MS Windows^^

There's nothing left to say...

I'm stuck on Notepad2 and i cant seem to stop using it. And yes iv tryed.

I've been using Vim with set smarttab smartindent textwidth=80 in my .vimrc and it works very well for me. I hate it when lines go over 80 columns because I like to keep my code on another server and edit via SSH in 80x40 term windows, so I still have room for other things on my desktop.

I'm going to hell for recommending Vim for a long-term Emacs user though. smile

36 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2006-08-26 20:21)

Gizzmo wrote:

I'm stuck on Notepad2 and i cant seem to stop using it. And yes iv tryed.

i use this as my notepad replacement. works flawlessly.  rename notepad2.exe to notepad.exe. reboot into safe mode then nav to C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and replace  notepade.exe with the now renamed notepad2 exe. run the reg file in the zip. done.

i'm thinking of getting a copy of ultraedit. looks neat.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

I use Notepad2 (as notepad replacement)

I'm use PHP Expert editor. For Russian php programmers this product free smile Nice smile

Forum russian php programmers www.phpforum.ru
localization of your program (soft, scripts and another) for Russia

@phpforum
me too... it is very nice editor ^^' i like it smile

phpforum wrote:

I'm use PHP Expert editor. For Russian php programmers this product free smile Nice smile

Why smile

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Hey, why not Geany ? It's OSS and available for both Windows & Linux smile

http://geany.uvena.de/images/geany_build.jpg

[no signature]

Rickard wrote:

I use Ultraedit. It is, in my opinion, the most complete text editor for Windows. It's a bit expensive though. I've been looking for a free replacement, but I have to find anything that can match Ultraedit.

scite?

I simply like GVim (or Vim).
It's powerful, free and light

+1 vote for ViM

bfdhud wrote:
Rickard wrote:

I use Ultraedit. It is, in my opinion, the most complete text editor for Windows. It's a bit expensive though. I've been looking for a free replacement, but I have to find anything that can match Ultraedit.

scite?

http://www.ultraedit.com/

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Well, I just tried UltraEdit, and, well, I don't like it tongue
*wanders off to Dreamweaver*

the only thing that annoys me about dreamweaver is their intellisense/code insite/code complete (whatever you want to call it).  when I type something, the hint list drops down, and I always use the wheel mouse to scroll up and down the list.  w/ dw, it scrolls the page and leaves the drop down list at the original x/y location on the screen (doesnt scroll the list at all)

MadHatter wrote:

the only thing that annoys me about dreamweaver is their intellisense/code insite/code complete (whatever you want to call it).  when I type something, the hint list drops down, and I always use the wheel mouse to scroll up and down the list.  w/ dw, it scrolls the page and leaves the drop down list at the original x/y location on the screen (doesnt scroll the list at all)

You can turn that off tho. And just call it with CTRL+Space when you need it. I just love the function tooltips etc, as I tend to forget the order of the arguments =/ It's syntax highlight is lovely too, but that might just be me being used to it, no idea...

PSPad
very useful editor

PhpDesigner is really good too, but still not support unicode

:Maxthon:FireFox:MirandaIM:ThunderBird:SmartFTP:FreePOPs:HTTrack:uTorrent:
:FlashGet:TCPOptimizer:SPECTralSMTPServer:UniExtract:PSPad:uStart:Everest:
:TotalCommander:ProcessExplorer:DriveMan:Regshot:Restoration:UPX:KolorGenerator:
:OpenOffice:AutoHotkey:IrfanView:Winamp:FSCapture:CDex:PNGOptimizer:spam:

elbekko wrote:
MadHatter wrote:

You can turn that off tho. And just call it with CTRL+Space when you need it. I just love the function tooltips etc, as I tend to forget the order of the arguments =/ It's syntax highlight is lovely too, but that might just be me being used to it, no idea...

yea control+space is how most code completion lists are brought up (and the reason why most of my code is misspelled:D), but where do I modify the setting for wheel mouse scrolling (so that it scrolls the list not the window)?