Topic: Ajax "from scratch"

Does anyone happen to know of any good Ajax tutorials about making Ajax apps without some sort of funky "framework" or "library", preferably with a bias towards PHP on the server-side?

I've done a bit of quick searching, but I haven't found much so far. sad

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

2 (edited by MadHatter 2006-09-04 06:04)

Re: Ajax "from scratch"

I havent come across any totally generic articles.  I've seen some on thecodeproject.com for asp.net (none of which I'd recomend as they tend to cover only the activex way).  the request is processed the same from the server side.  What gets returned just needs to be formatted in the xmlhttp request xml structure.

the reason for the frameworks is because the different browsers implement it differently.  IE uses ActiveX to do it, where as mozilla implemented it as a native browser object since v1.0.  wikipedia should be a pretty good resource for how it works technically: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMLHttpRequest

I also would be interested in this...

I have a very simple ajax bit of code.. which just loads a .php page into a div at a click of a onClick. It works great... can post it if you like. Its very basic.

I've attempted to do a chatbox in AJAX and PHP once. It only worked decently in FF, IE screwed up quite a bit and it didn't work at all in Opera =/

Making it work for FF is easy enough... for the others is a pain in the arse sad

IE should work pretty well, Opera latest version can be tailored for....

As much as I'm a fan of the "do it yourself instead of using some bloated framework" approach, you could have a look at one of the lighter framworks. For example Prototype.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I have made simple functions for fetching data from scratch. I'll see if I can post them later.

Rickard wrote:

As much as I'm a fan of the "do it yourself instead of using some bloated framework" approach, you could have a look at one of the lighter framworks. For example Prototype.

I agree here... This framework is presently the best one... for size that is.

Max Kiesler's 42 AJAX Tutorials ...

I'm using dojo for a non-PunBB related project and it's been great so far. It's not quite what your looking for though (it's huge big_smile).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

a great introduction to Ajax
Mastering Ajax, Part 1: Introduction to Ajax
Mastering Ajax, Part 2: Make asynchronous requests with JavaScript and Ajax
Mastering Ajax, Part 3: Advanced requests and responses in Ajax
Mastering Ajax, Part 4: Exploiting DOM for Web response
Mastering Ajax, Part 5: Manipulate the DOM

That looks nice prozente, thanks. I'll have to check that one out.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Rickard wrote:

I'm using Xajax which is easy to implement and quite bug free meanwhile.
They use punbb for their forum of course. smile
What i love about it is that you can do a lot of things without having to write a single line of that pesky JavaScript.

As for Prototype:
Is there any documentation?
I'm always into learning new things but do I really have to download & install everything before getting a clue how it works?
Or if it actualyl  works for me at all?

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de