Topic: A new, free PunBB forum host!

http://punbb-hosting.dreamhosters.com/index.php

I decided to create my own free PunBB host. I kind of wrote an intro post on the front page there, so I'll just copy it here tongue

PunBB-Hosting offers an impressive array of features, including:
- No ads (yet: I reserve the right to add ads for guests at some point tongue)
- Lots of language packs, so you can let your forum members use any language they want
- Plenty of modifications for you to interest your users with
- The ability to customize your forum with your own style, templates, and HTML pages.
- Helpful staff willing to assist you with any problems you may have
- Other stuff I've forgotten tongue
- Above all, we've got PunBB, baby! big_smile

If you have any questions, concerns, or just want to chat, feel free to post in the Support forum (it's linked on the sidebar!)

Anyways, this is the official "We're open" announcement. I've had a couple people test it over the past couple of days, but I expect someone will find something that breaks relatively shortly. lol
So, please be kind and report any bugs in the Support forum.

Enjoy everybody! big_smile
Oh, one other thing to note: forum URLs are like http://punbb-hosting.dreamhosters.com/forums/support/ as opposed to MyPunBB's subdomains tongue

Re: A new, free PunBB forum host!

Good luck with it, hope it goes well.

Is this is seperate install per user?

Seperate tables, everyone shares the same files (although I've hacked it to allow per-forum template, stylesheets, cache files, avatars, smilies, etc)

Cool! I hope it works out.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

nice default set of mods.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Thanks smile

And just to tell you: it works great big_smile

Hurrah!

question: if i upload a skin does it becaome availible to all hosted forums?

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

question: if i upload a skin does it becaome availible to all hosted forums?

No, only your forum can use it

11 (edited by ether 2006-09-14 16:40)

This sounds cool, I am going to check it out shortly. But one question... you mention that you have separate tables per forum, so I guess when someone does a new install so to speak the tables have a unique prefix so as to distinguish them from other forum's tables?

Update:

When I choose a different css style sheet from the drop down list in Options, this does not update the appearance of my forum. That is to say that changing the default style does not work. This may be due to the fact the forum is running off a shared install. Maybe creating a table that tells each board what css sheet to use would help. I am a newbie at this so I am not sure if this is possible.

I would imagine that the style sheet choice is stored in a table, but whether each forum uses the same style table of a different one I don't know. You can look at my forum on the server here.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it doesn't go away."

The forum default style and your profile style both have to chosen wink

Just got o Profile > Display and choose your style.

What Bekko said wink
Trust me, each forum is exactly the same as a normal PunBB install (except for the mods that come with it and the inability to edit the pages or alter the database directly)

14 (edited by ether 2006-09-15 02:59)

Ok, thanks, I hadn't realized that I needed to select in both, I'll do that now.,

Just a note while I think of it... the interface (I picked Lithium) really is clean and fast to load. I like the design a lot.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it doesn't go away."

Neat stuff smartys big_smile

Just curious though... how do you intend to make a profit from it? (profit could be defined as, you know, stuff to put on a resume, so I get that $100K per year job). I meen it must cost money to host, and forums are know to be CPU/bandwidth hogs.

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

Ads at some point (for guests viewing the different forums only), things like that wink

Wholy good god, you with deamhost?
What's the catch with them?...

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;