Topic: someone is collecting my forum

hi

my forum is just using rewrite
rule is 
         forum                 your.com/f4
         topic                   your.com/t4844           
         posts                  your.com/p11111

my forum 's posts all had been collected by another forum,she or his forum programme have the collection tools.

Re: someone is collecting my forum

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're asking.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by twohawks 2006-10-06 15:31)

qie, if you are using mod-rewrite, and you are saying someone is unwantedly accessing your site and collecting your files, or attaching to them,  theres two things I have gleaned at appache...

1) you need to be careful when using mod-rewrite not to unwittingly allow someone to be able to rewrite your urls!  I am not an expert, you should reseach this if you use mod-rewrite (try webmasterworld ;^)

2) theres a known mod_rewrite vulnerability... I was just reading about that at apache (I forget where - but you can easily find it (probably on the front page) I am sure.  They are urging upgrade/patching (I forget which).  I didn't read everything about it because I am not running my own server right now (blew up a while back and haven't had time to rebuild it 8^P), but I found it while studing up on mod_rewrite.  I would say go to apache and research this, it may be your issue.

I think it was mentioned that one could also try using some other protection codes in .htaccess if updating apache is not acceptable... just cannot recall clearly.  Try using all search words "mod_rewrite subdomain redirect vulnerability" (without the quotes of course) -google- and -webmasterworld- especially.
Hope this helps.

--my teh brain hurts today :^$
Cheers,

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

but mod-rewrite works perfectly ,not having secruity issue.
i mean,there is some collecting tool,that can collect all your posts to their own forum,on their own forum the posts from my forum is just like mine.  it's just like search enginne scrawling your websites.but if i blocked it,i will be sure to block search enginne

Try to disallow guest access to your more popular forums. Allows guest view access to only a few of your forums. True enough this stops search crawlers, but it also stops unwanted guests as well.

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

I never used these tools. But i heard about some apache mods that allow you so set wait time betwin pageviews.
Set it to 15 seconds and that should do it.

I dont think this is due to mod rewrite, actually mode rewrite should even make it harder ( not so much though ) for them.

That's just silly tongue
mod_throttle is what you're thinking of I believe. However, an easy way to kill your website is to set the throttle that high tongue
Identify the URLs from your access log and ban them at the webserver level. Problem solved tongue

I gather the original poster is talking about his experience of having his forum content 'scraped' by someone.

Then finding that that his content (posts etc) was being used to populate another forum, using some of the tools available to steal other people's content this way that one can find on the web, alas.

It's a big problem that can be difficult to fight off, especially as a lot of these scrapers do bad things like:

- fail to respect robots.txt,
- attempt to cloak themselves behind bogus user agents, and
- access you from a variety of changable IP addresses.

I would look at my server logs on the day(s) the scraper in question came to visit, and see if there was anything in the logs that would help you perhaps block it in future (by user agent, IP address etc) either in your robots.txt file, .htaccess, mod_security filter settings, with your firewall, or whatever other means at your disposal.

To get a good lesson in the scope of the problem, and some of the solutions, I heartily recommend reading and keeping abreast of IncrediBILLs blog.

He is about the most vocal enemy scrapers and bad bots have on the web. He also says he is developing a tool to help content authors defeat them that, if it works, will certainly be worth looking out for:

http://incredibill.blogspot.com/

Some of the services offered by Copyscape - http://www.copyscape.com - may also be useful to you if you are worried about this happening again. It can help alert you to people ripping off your content.

if u have updated to the latest version, u need not worry about mod rewrite vulnerability.

twohawks wrote:

qie, if you are using mod-rewrite, and you are saying someone is unwantedly accessing your site and collecting your files, or attaching to them,  theres two things I have gleaned at appache...

1) you need to be careful when using mod-rewrite not to unwittingly allow someone to be able to rewrite your urls!  I am not an expert, you should reseach this if you use mod-rewrite (try webmasterworld ;^)

2) theres a known mod_rewrite vulnerability... I was just reading about that at apache (I forget where - but you can easily find it (probably on the front page) I am sure.  They are urging upgrade/patching (I forget which).  I didn't read everything about it because I am not running my own server right now (blew up a while back and haven't had time to rebuild it 8^P), but I found it while studing up on mod_rewrite.  I would say go to apache and research this, it may be your issue.

I think it was mentioned that one could also try using some other protection codes in .htaccess if updating apache is not acceptable... just cannot recall clearly.  Try using all search words "mod_rewrite subdomain redirect vulnerability" (without the quotes of course) -google- and -webmasterworld- especially.
Hope this helps.

--my teh brain hurts today :^$
Cheers,

http://iventor.org
Open Collaboration and Sharing