Topic: PunBB is AWESOME!!

Honestly, PunBB is far better than phpBB, becuase its so simple, yet can fullfil all my needs. Its truly a great forum and I love it!!! I esp., like how the tables are set up.

Re: PunBB is AWESOME!!

big_smile Rickard will be happy with this post tongue

And yes, we pwn phpBB

my favorite part is the source code, SOOOOO easy to read and understand, iv see phpbb's source... OMG its hell

Gizzmo wrote:

my favorite part is the source code, SOOOOO easy to read and understand, iv see phpbb's source... OMG its hell

Yeah, my coding style is actually loosely based on PunBB's style tongue

agreed on the source. I've picked through it about 100 times and never really had to much trouble finding what I was looking for big_smile

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

Yeah, my coding style is actually loosely based on PunBB's style

That was i want to say, and what happen is Who taste the honey cant feel with the sugar, and every time download any script not like PunBB code i will not accept, We stick here for ever.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

In my persoanl oppinion, people overrate phpBB, yet its a good forum, but its not all its said to be. I like how PunBB is set up. I jsut hope the forum software I have been working on can someday be as good as PunBB. (though, I highly doubt it will lol) smile

Source code of the punbb is compact, well organized and easily readable and this is one of the big strength of this software.

Gizzmo wrote:

ive seen the source code to, i took one look and thought *cough* off lol

tbh...i think punbbs source code is hell of alot cleaner and more organized and phpbbs source code lol......rickard is a great coder smile

keep in mind, that phpbb has been out for a long time.  any codebase that has maintained for as long as phpbb has is going to look ugly.  features are added, bugs are fixed and not all by the same person.  that makes for ugly code.  punbb has a small development staff and unless large development efforts do peer reviews, and have one person who cleans up the code as a final pass before testing, any code will look that way.  the more developers you have on a project, the more disconjointed a code base will look.  Right now its just Rickard and Paul, and version 1.

I agree that their codebase is nicely thoughtout and concise.  and thats one thing that makes it a pleasure to work with.

to be honest i am not shure if i agree or disagree with you madhater...

does it have to be necessarly like that? maybe. I confess i dont have enough experience to give a more complete opinion.

Maybe its the whole conception of punbb that is beter. It was made to be light, cleand, simple and fast. And it is. Being developed by one person might be the best choice after all. Then with small contributions from here and there it gets awsome. After some time it got more complete without sacrifying simplicity and speed. And if you want you can hack it or install this or that module.

I remember when it didnt have an avatar for example. Rickard then took the right decision of including it in the default instalation instead of getting stucked to his initial idea. This is just a small example about punbb good way of being.

phpbb tryed to be the most complete forum software and compete with vbulletin, but then they lack basic features like a proper user control panel.  Then invision came, then smf got so much more advanced... well... phpbb it had its time... maybe when version 3 is out... i myself dont even know really what to expect for version 3.

Punbb its by far the faster phorum system, it looks cool in its basyc instalation,  its code is dead simple to understand, it's costumizable, and besides all that now it got complete.

sorry to all the dudes found of all other board systems open source or not, punbb just rocks.

PS:punbb is made in sweden, i love that, for personal reasons wink

13 (edited by Tubby 2006-10-12 01:15)

vbulletin is a kickass forum software and i can see why they charge money for it lol. The thing with vbulletin is it has more modifications/advanced features than punbb. Not even the quantity of the modifications, but vbulletins quality in modifications. Vbulletin also uses alot of javascript in there code wich is another thing i love about it smile

I believe that punbb is definitely a better deal mainly because its free, fast, and pretty much serves your needs.

pedrotuga wrote:

to be honest i am not shure if i agree or disagree with you madhater...

does it have to be necessarly like that? maybe. I confess i dont have enough experience to give a more complete opinion.

Maybe its the whole conception of punbb that is beter. It was made to be light, cleand, simple and fast. And it is. Being developed by one person might be the best choice after all. Then with small contributions from here and there it gets awsome. After some time it got more complete without sacrifying simplicity and speed. And if you want you can hack it or install this or that module.

I remember when it didnt have an avatar for example. Rickard then took the right decision of including it in the default instalation instead of getting stucked to his initial idea. This is just a small example about punbb good way of being.

phpbb tryed to be the most complete forum software and compete with vbulletin, but then they lack basic features like a proper user control panel.  Then invision came, then smf got so much more advanced... well... phpbb it had its time... maybe when version 3 is out... i myself dont even know really what to expect for version 3.

Punbb its by far the faster phorum system, it looks cool in its basyc instalation,  its code is dead simple to understand, it's costumizable, and besides all that now it got complete.

sorry to all the dudes found of all other board systems open source or not, punbb just rocks.

PS:punbb is made in sweden, i love that, for personal reasons wink

there will come a time when Rickard will be too busy to fuss with this app anymore.  then somebody else who has time will change it, maybe keep it alive, whatever.  They will have ideas that Rickard would have never put into the app.

long story short.  If / when that happens... its code base will look exactly like the others.  one thing that keeps this code base simple (in my opinion) is that it lacks a "template" system like all the others have.  fine by me, css themes are better IMO.  Adding this and that (templates, feature x, feature y) complicates things.    The larger a feature set you support, the more complex your code grows.  the more complex your code grows, the more difficult it is to understand things.

I only say this because I have been there, done that.  The saving grace for this system is that Rickard intentionally keeps the app simple.  He has said he doesnt want a full blown system like corporate systems.  Let the community muck their own instances up, but keep the distro clean and simple. 

I've been around systems development lifecycle enough to know how it works.  like leaves falling from a tree, over time things get scattered... unless you constantly rake them up.

MadHatter wrote:

The saving grace for this system is that Rickard intentionally keeps the app simple.

And that's what separates PunBB from the rest of the crowd.

If you want all the features money can buy, then by all means use vBulletin, but if you want a very fast and low on resources forum, PunBB is it, nothing else compares. I've tested every Open Source forum app out there, some say there are better, like SMF, some say there are smaller, like UNB, some say there are easier, like Vanilla, I say go install them on a live site, use them for a month and then come back here and report your findings.

Ok... i tryed phorum and i am everything but satisfyed. It's a bit buggy and it lacks basic features. Its a bit similar concept to punbb but its soooo far back.

I think we are forgettig something here... isn't there big sites out there that use punbb? Like.... can anybody point me big and important features punbb doesnt suport? If i should give my opinion about punbb... well... the great thing its that its simple but its suted for heavy weight tasks.

I had phpbb for about 3 years and suffered though many 'defacing' attacks by hackers. It was horrible. I switched over to punBB recently. I sure hope it's more secure than phpbb. It appears to be.

pedrotuga, check out this list of boards: http://stats.punres.org/list.php