Topic: SQLite... what about it

I was reading some of my web hosting's provider when i red under the php instalations features that sqlite was distributed with php5.
First i thought that was very practical, but then... i thoght, everybody suports mysql nowadays anyway...

so... what about it? when do you recomend it and why? I love mysql, its OS, fast like hell, swedish, big community, etc etc...

It appears that sqlite is the biggest alternative at the moment as postgres is not being suported by so many hosting companies, at least mine (dreamhost) doesn't .

So what about it? The whole concept of writing on the hard drive all the time sounds slow... dunno...

does anybody use it? why?

Re: SQLite... what about it

mysql is not an OS.  it is also file based (as 99.9% of rdbms are. bamboo prevalence being one of the only ones I've heard of thats not).  the difference is that mysql has a larger feature set than sqlite, and can be used remotely.  you can embed mysql into an app but the most common usage is to have a stand alone server and connect over the wire to it.  sqlite doesnt have the network layer, so its used directly like you would w/ an embedded mysql.

there are several reasons why mysql would be better, one of which is more for the hosting company & performance of your web site.  since the db takes system resources to work, distributing that piece helps lighten the load on the webserver, allowing them to put more sites on a single server.  they can then distribute the database (across multiple machines even) to help distribute the workload.

using sqlite is good when your hosting company doesnt provide you with a database (or you're too cheap to buy the package that has atleast one).  with the amount of processing the databases that pun (or most pre-canned websites) use, sqlite would likely be more than enough to run the show.

MadHatter wrote:

mysql is not an OS.

I think he meant "it's OS" as in "it is open source".

I'm thinking of switching over to SQLite (if I can successfully convert my database) because my host has a pretty old version of MySQL. Oddly enough, though, my host told me that they do not "support" SQLite even though I did a little test and they most certainly do. I'm not sure if that means they don't want people doing it, whoever answered my email didn't know what he/she/I was talking about, or they don't want to confusion in case I'm using PHP 4 rather than 5.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

yup... i meant open source... ok... so it doesnt appear to have so many advanteges over mysql when the last is present

just say OSS for FOSS in the future to avoid that...

I don't have php5 yet, so I stick with mysql. Really, I think it is a matter of choice in alot of cases.

another dummy set of questions on sqlite.

Ok, its bundled with php5... but... how do i access its CLI?
Also, is there any kind of frontend avaluable like mysql administrator/query browser?
Whata about web-based frontends? is there any?

This post might be a little help: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=77066#p77066

Also see: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/sqliteweb.htm

A nice, simple desktop interface is SQLite Query Browser.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

OMG!
yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes

look at this!
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezsqliteadmin

i have to confess that i got surprised!
A software using XUL! COOL!

thank pog