26 (edited by MadHatter 2006-10-17 00:37)

Re: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

guess its time to break out vmware and get me an umbuntu setup.

I havent played w/ linux since like version 2.2 or something.  I loved ximian desktop... too bad redcarpet isnt a free app anymore.

wow, font support is like a million times better!

/me impressed.

Yeah, fonts have steadily gotten better over the last couple of years. With the new enhancements in X, like subpixel smoothing for LCD's, and the introduction of Bitstream fonts, the Linux desktop is looking much better.

In the past, we had to tweak like mad to get a desktop looking as good as Ubuntu out of the box. Let's hope Debian Etch follows suit along with all the other distros from here on out.

ximian desktop (pre-novell) had a tight looking gnome (v1) desktop.  copying over a few fonts (from windows) made it look really nice.  I'd have to say my redhat 6.1 setup w/ transgamingX was the best.  I could enjoy free software and still play CS.

in those days I was totally microsoft free (except for their pirated fonts tongue)

30 (edited by elbekko 2006-10-17 12:26)

I really want help on getting Cedega to work =P It always refuses to work =/
Tried on both CentOS and Ubuntu 6.06, both failed. Bear in mind I'm trying to install from CVS, not with a paid package wink

Here's the error I always keep getting:

./wine: error while loading shared libraries: libntdll.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried installing the official Wine package in the hope that so file would be included... or not tongue Didn't work sad

the thing about getting something from cvs is that it may not be working...  not everybody has a "dont check it in until its finished, tested, and working" policy.

Well... I don't want to pay for it =/

wow, transgaming has changed in my absense (I had no clue what Cedega was...)

I'm sure you can pick it up on any torrent site.

the cvs may not have the base wine libs checked into the repository.  you may want to check what dependencies they have and make sure to download / configure those dependencies.

sounds like you're missing the wine so's that it uses.

I'll go find a decent version then tongue

And yes, I installed Wine. That so file is there somewhere, a whereis told me tongue I copied it to some dirs in the cedega folder, but didn't work =/

I still get the dreaded Grub error 17 on boot unless I have my ubuntu disc in my drive and boot to the first hard disk menu; then Grub boots fine. Apparently it's pretty common. I never had the error with SuSE however, if I recall [correctly] SuSE uses Lilo?

I think it can be configured to use both, but I think it is default on Lilo.
I have grub installed courtesy of ubuntu on my computer, seeing as lilo breaks everything for me.... 'Chainloader' never does a damn thing...

grub has always just seemed easier to me.  I am too dumb to figure lilo out (though it seems like it should be painless)

I seem to remember running grub-util (or something like that) to resetup my boot partition a couple of times (like when I removed the windows partition, then a little while later for school when I had to re-add it and windows wiped the boot sector).

It's a pain. I've checked my menu.lst, but everything is setup perfect.

It appears to be a common issue though I've been unable to find any work arounds. I currently have 2 IDE drives, and 1 SATA; the master IDE has XP, the slave IDE has Ubuntu and the SATA is used for storage. I've read some articles that it might be the SATA drive throwing it off, however it was never a problem with Lilo (when using SuSE) so I don't know. I guess for now if I decide to keep Ubuntu installed I'll just have to keep booting with the installation disc.

This is usually why I don't keep it long, because I dual boot and it gets annoying after a while.

However I love Ubuntu and ever since the start it has been great. It's growing fast, and quite swell with every update. :]

Debian Etch RC1 is out: http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

Tried it out last night on my laptop, the AMD64 netinst iso. The install went fine, appears to run very fast on my machine, seems faster than Ubuntu Dapper or Edgy.

i am using ubuntu for sometime now... i don't miss windows at all.
If there is something good on widows is hardware compatibility, that's it.

For a developer i find linux so much more convininet. After something like three months i already find ubuntu easyer to use than windows. The packeges system and the the console are lovely big_smile .

I don't play any games since i am 16, i got bored of it.

I highly recomend linux to all linux newbies ( like me ). It's no trouble in using it.

pedrotuga wrote:

i am using ubuntu for sometime now... i don't miss windows at all.
If there is something good on widows is hardware compatibility, that's it.

I agree. The only real problems I have now are with the DRM'd music I made the mistake of buying and getting my Logitech mouse fully functional (it's quite aggravating). I also miss Paint.NET.

pedrotuga wrote:

The packeges system and the the console are lovely

Aptitude is heaven. smile

The ease with which most apps are compiled is great as well, at least compared with the hell I went through trying to compile PHP on Windows.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Eh I switched Ubuntu to my main OS.

I'm using Edgy 64 bit now, and my new graphics card pwns.

I had to reinstall the OS when I switched cards, (and I got that ATI working beautifully, btw), but I didn't have much on it.

64 is nice and all, but nothing seems to run on it, qemu and flash player don't sad

I love synaptic package manager, its like the most wonderful tool invented, as I don't have to think :s Anyways.

elbekko wrote:

Ok, thanks smile That worked.
But it's silly that the root account isn't properly configured at install.

Sudo makes more sense to windows users than a root account does.

Another way to get root is like sudo -s i beleive check the man pages for it.

If you don't know what you're doing, being protected by sudo is the way to go. In my opinion, Ubuntu did the right thing , make the system less prone to getting trashed and at the same time teach you the proper way to do permissions.

Windows is a wide open affair, single user in mind from the start. Unix was designed to be multi-user from the get-go, so knowing how to work under a permission system, though it may suck at first, is worth the learning curve.