Topic: I hate mailing lists!

What's up with open source projects always using mailing lists as a means to communicate? Here's why mailing lists suck:

- You get massive amounts of e-mail that are of no interest to you.
- E-mail clients always mess up threading which leads to discussions often forking into separate threads.
- You have to access the archives via some website somewhere.
- Searching sucks.
- You still have to register.

I hate mailing lists!

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: I hate mailing lists!

Rickard wrote:

I hate mailing lists!

Make that two of us tongue

I hate searching on mailing lists... especially on those online ones =/

Forums ftw!

I agree, mailing lists are a thing of the past, forums are the future.

Look at how Ubuntu's user base has exploded, due in part to the many forums implemented. Yet I have to hunt and search for Debian specific info on archaic mailing list systems, don't get it.

For some project, I don't dislike mailing-list. The first condition being on the list from the start, hat way I'm sure I have everything, and could search without problems.

Joining a year-long ML in the middle is a pain in the bottom part, very much yes.

I've tried mailing lists a couple of times... didn't like it. Too much of a hassle with email clients and all that. I also dislike the threaded view you find in every online mailing list browser (and sites like Slashdot). It's so "incoherent" compared to simple forums, where all the posts are presented nicely under each other in a "flat" manner. smile

!!
i am surprised, i used to be embarased because of prefering forums instead of mailling lists. Aparently there is more ppl agreeing with me. I think mailing lists are more respected among older developers and so.
Like, i don't see so many old ppl coming and contributing in forums, forums are labeled ( wrongly ) as a kiddie stuff. And unfortunatly this is a predigist that insist in exist.
Email is not designed to be a discussion place, it can be used as it but is was not created with that specific goal.

Forums it is! It takes some time for some ppl to get used to it. Also its possible to integrate forums with mailing lists, that rocks.

If included the groups like Yahoo group i totaly agree, i always lost my post there, and must be online to navigate the messages or receive it all.

- There is no notification for answers.
- You can not edit your messages (i always have mistakes)

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

I am member of few photography mailing list. I tried convincing those folks about makin a forum...but all my efforts went into vein big_smile people are just not ready to get out of mailing lists

yes... it's a pitty... there is a lot of people with a lot of knowledge in mailing lists that i dont see go and moove to a webforum.