Topic: Multilingual Text Style

Hi all,

As we know, fonts styles differ from a language to another -Latin and Arabian letter-. Some common fonts works with both like Arial, Tahoma, Courier... Others don't, like Verdan, Comic SS for latin and Traditional Arabic, Andalus for arbian letters.

And, as far as I concluded, is that when aplaying one of the (1-language-font) to a text that contains both languages the font's language text is formated right and the other picks an other font that works with by some kind of an order.

e.g. the text:

The new PunBB verion is available soon

when writing it in Arabic, the word "PunBB" cant's be treanslated for some reasons, so it should stay in English.
Now: suppose the font formating of the text is Traditional Arabic. All the text in arabic will look 'Traditional Arabic' except the word "PunBB" that will automaticly be under font "Comic Sans Serif" that actually looks informal.

The goal of all of that explination is to find a way that allows a users to format text for Multilingual projects, so that it is possible to choose different font for each language that we cannot xepect when  will it be written like thread's subjects as an example.

فهد

Re: Multilingual Text Style

no suggestions? neutral

فهد

3 (edited by zaher 2006-10-11 04:35)

Not only Arabic have this problem, Hebrew has it, and that as like as Arabic users use Tahoma for best reading. Microsoft doing that look at the Office and you will found Tahoma there.
But some users not have Tahoma font, and i think thay are not arabs (because all of arabs useing Microsoft products), so browser will choose the second font listed in your css.

Oxygen.css

.pun PRE {FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma, monaco, "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", courier, monospace}
If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

4 (edited by FhdQa 2006-10-11 06:49)

Well, I mentioned Arabic language only as an example.
Now this is fine with css (PunBB for example), But what about others like HTML, PHP, if I wanted to edit a font dirctly in the script.
e.g. one may want to edit the topic supject font in a weblog sideserver that uses HTML, what should he do?

BTW, in my pbb forum I've changed the order of the font family in my css to (1. Tahoma, 2. Arial ....) and every thing now works fine with tahoma, but still the redirection page does not, and work with arial!

فهد

I prefer to use CSS in web projects, Or use Tahoma font if use one font name.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

About the arabic pack,
i think it is win1256 encoded right?
any chance we can get that in utf-8?
thanks
Hassan