Topic: Any more "Pun"

I was just having a quick think, and i wasd woundering if there is going to be any more applications / software created by Rickard / Paul

Re: Any more "Pun"

Well, Rickard is doing something in ASP (god have his sanity) smile

Don't know about other things tho tongue

Not that I know of. But if somebody wants a website and has money to burn .....

4 (edited by Mark 2006-11-29 22:01)

i remember seeing a post about that. woundering what it is

edit: why would it be burning money?

elbekko wrote:

That's ASP.NET and there's a huge difference smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

6 (edited by sverrir 2006-11-30 11:36)

Rickard wrote:
elbekko wrote:

That's ASP.NET and there's a huge difference smile

Ain't that the truth cool

I havnt a clue what ASP or ASP.NET is tongue
never looked at either.

Mark wrote:

I havnt a clue what ASP or ASP.NET is tongue
never looked at either.

Mark, I belive it stands for Alot of Stupid Problems ... most of the time followed by Mass Suicide.
./me starts praying for Rickards health and sanity

Bodram wrote:

Mark, I belive it stands for Alot of Stupid Problems ... most of the time followed by Mass Suicide.
./me starts praying for Rickards health and sanity

I've been doing this for a little over a year now. I haven't felt anything yet, but I guess mental illness creeps up on you without you ever noticing wink

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I'm a big fan of .net, but asp.net drives me crazy (unfortunately I work for the company who does all of United Way's donation tracking software and its all asp.net).  maybe its because I'm more of a windows .net guy but my biggest pet peeve about asp.net is that they try to make it "look and feel" like doing windows development, but when I create a window, it doesn't get built up and destroyed every time its drawn, but a "web control" does.  they have a ton of "life cycle" stuff going on, and supposed to have "events" but I always just want to end up putting all my page logic in the OnLoad override like I would any normal server side procedurally loaded "page" which kind of defeats the whole purpose of what its supposed to be.

MadHatter wrote:

I'm a big fan of .net, but asp.net drives me crazy (unfortunately I work for the company who does all of United Way's donation tracking software and its all asp.net).  maybe its because I'm more of a windows .net guy but my biggest pet peeve about asp.net is that they try to make it "look and feel" like doing windows development, but when I create a window, it doesn't get built up and destroyed every time its drawn, but a "web control" does.  they have a ton of "life cycle" stuff going on, and supposed to have "events" but I always just want to end up putting all my page logic in the OnLoad override like I would any normal server side procedurally loaded "page" which kind of defeats the whole purpose of what its supposed to be.

I agree, at least to some agree. I kind of like the event system though. I think it comes in handy especially when you have a very complex form.

events are nice, but I guess what annoys me is that outside of its web implementation, .net events are implemented as a multicastdelegate (function pointers), so when you handle one: foo.MyEvent += new SomeEventHandler(TargetMethod);  when foo triggers MyEvent, it actually invokes TargetMethod of the object that contained that code, but its asp counterpart does not (and really cant) call it that way.  it stores an "event" action, then posts back to the server, rebuilds some object, then calls the event method.  by the time the event handler is called, the in memory object which assigned the event handler has actually been deleted and unless you stored instance data in viewstate or session, you're screwed.  .net remoting suffers from the same ailment IMO.

the problem is that they're attempting to make a fairly stateless client server communication process act like an inherently stateful single thread of execution, which doesn't really work IMO.  as much as everybody hates it, flash has the right idea when it comes to asynchronous client / server interaction.   IMO we need to move past HTTP and start using a much more rich asynchronous messaging protocol for SOA apps.

My biggest gripe with ASP.NET, and this may very well be what you're referring to, is that the event model is realized using client side scripting. Now, I'm not sure there's really a way around this if you want stuff like viewstate, but it does have it's downsides. One such downside it that most ASP.NET apps just won't work with JavaScript disabled.

It also complicates things when you for example integrate a third party Javascript library into your app. I've been using Dojo Toolkit and one very cool feature of Dojo is its file upload capabilities. However, when using Dojo for this purpose, what you end up with is a mix of event based ASP.NET code and regular linear page logic in the OnLoad method (because Dojo doesn't know how to trigger a .NET event). It isn't very pretty.

I believe there is a setting that allows you to use javascript or not.  2.0 is supposed to have better support for browsers and javascript but I haven't spent enough time in it to know for sure.

the event model is done by making everything a form, and adding hidden elements that store viewstate, and other event state info, so really the only advantage you gain is that you have a semi decent automatic "mode" of a page, but they call it an event so that they can try to be consistent w/ the rest of the framework.

I would have liked to see an object model that mirrored (x)html w/ an even model that was derived from javascript than from of some bastardized version of their windows forms architecture.