Topic: Nintendo Wii

So we can discuss anything we want in here, right?  Anyone else that visits these forums have the Nintendo Wii?  It's a great system if you don't, truely unlike any of the other systems that you may have played to date. Wii Sports as a pack in title was one of the smartest things Nintendo could do as it truely shows what the remotes are capable of and leaves you thinking what else future developers can do with the games for this system. 

Another reason I ask is that I am looking to see if anyone wants to exchange their Wii friend codes.  I've got several people added already and I love getting new Mii's from other people and sharing mine.  My wife and I check out the Mii's every night before we sit down to play some Wii Sports.  Boxing is great and even if she gets frustrated (she's not the most athletically inclined) the Tennis gets a lot of play time.  As does the bowling which is just awesome all around.

Big thumbs up to the Wii if anyone was considering a purchase.  I'd HIGHLY suggest getting one...you won't regret it.

Re: Nintendo Wii

I'll get one as soon as I can afford it.

That being said, I guess it'll take a few months tongue

I asked for one for Christmas. I have enough money to buy it, it's just that I had nothing else I wanted this year, so when I was asked, that was the first thing that came to mind.

I probably had a better chance of getting it myself though, I'm the only one I know willing to stand in line for hours to get it.

The Wii is definitely the best system this time around in my opinion. I can't wait to play Zelda, as I'm a major Zelda fan. It looks like your a zelda fan as well from your avatar.
I also can't wait for Animal crossing to come out next december.

Do you have Zelda yet? If so, what did you think of it?

4 (edited by Kato 2006-12-01 16:54)

Plubyblop wrote:

I asked for one for Christmas. I have enough money to buy it, it's just that I had nothing else I wanted this year, so when I was asked, that was the first thing that came to mind.

I probably had a better chance of getting it myself though, I'm the only one I know willing to stand in line for hours to get it.

The Wii is definitely the best system this time around in my opinion. I can't wait to play Zelda, as I'm a major Zelda fan. It looks like your a zelda fan as well from your avatar.
I also can't wait for Animal crossing to come out next december.

Do you have Zelda yet? If so, what did you think of it?

Actually, my wife and I only had to wait 13 and a half hours in line to get ours at midnight. We were one of the first 20 people (our Wal-Mart only got 20 units and we were number 18 in line so a LOT of people got turned around to find other stores to camp and wait in line) in our town to buy it, take it home and play it until all the other stores opened up the next morning big_smile  And yes, when we finally got home around 1am, we got it online, made our Mii's and checked out the Virtual Console and then played Wii Sports till 5:30am.  wink

We ended up getting 3 more remotes and 2 extra nunchuks and yes, we did buy Zelda. I made an agreement with her that I would only play when she is there to watch as well and since we work opposite schedules, it's hard for us to play, but we are 9 and half hours into the game and just absolutely loving it.  It's everything you ever expected a Zelda to be and more...I was not sure about the wolf parts when I first heard about it oh so long ago, but once you run around and play as the wolf you see just how much fun it is. Zelda has been great fun and I'm always itching to play more, but I wait till we are together.

We also really want to get ExciteTruck, Call of Duty 3, Trauma Center and Avatar. I think some of those are going to have to wait till Christmas though.  Zelda and Wii Sports is more than enough to keep us occupied until then.

The Wii has been one of if not the best party games console we have ever had in our home. Hell, not even just for parties...we play it all the time with just the two of us and my 5 year old is absolutely GOOD at Wii Sports.  He's been brought up as a gamer as it is and plays alot already, but the Wii and him are a perfect match. We can't wait for my younger son to age a few more years so the 4 of us can play some Doubles Tennis together. Quality family time and even still, the youngest one watches and acts like us when we play so it wont' be long before he starts to learn it all too.

I'm getting one as soon as possible, possibly along with a 360 eventually. The first game I'm picking up will be Zelda, although I might end up getting that for my 'cube. Nintendo completely won me over again with the DS, so if they can continue to provide me with similar innovative & fun games for the Wii I probably won't need another console this generation smile

Ouendaaaaaaan!!

CodeXP wrote:

I'm getting one as soon as possible, possibly along with a 360 eventually. The first game I'm picking up will be Zelda, although I might end up getting that for my 'cube. Nintendo completely won me over again with the DS, so if they can continue to provide me with similar innovative & fun games for the Wii I probably won't need another console this generation smile

Ouendaaaaaaan!!

Yes.  The DS is simply amazing and I really did not expect to find such a good offerings of intuitive games from it either, but the DS has really stood up and amazed me.

Kato wrote:
CodeXP wrote:

Ouendaaaaaaan!!

Yes.  The DS is simply amazing and I really did not expect to find such a good offerings of intuitive games from it either, but the DS has really stood up and amazed me.

It's strange really, because I wasn't really interested in the DS at first. It wasn't until I watched a video of Ouendan that I suddenly just had to get one. I've never had a habit of importing games, but this game is the exception. It's just pure concentrated fun on a cartridge. Love it! big_smile

I'm getting one as soon as I can find one sad

Every few days I go to the local GameStop and play their demo, I'm so impressed with their remote and the graphics don't look that bad even tough they have it hooked up with regular cables. I imagine with composite cables and hooked to an LCD TV running at 480p, the graphics would look even better.

hcgtv, surely you mean component cables? wink

CodeXP, yes component cables, all this terminology can drive you crazy smile

On my LCD TV, I'm using HDMI cables for the digital cable box and DVD player, they give the same quality as component but they are easier to deal with as far as routing them from system to TV.

Kato wrote:

Actually, my wife and I only had to wait 13 and a half hours in line to get ours at midnight.

ONLY?! big_smile

I'd like to get one as well, but right now, I'm leaning more towards an XBox360. That Gears of War just looks so pretty.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

http://tech-buzz.net/2006/11/20/playsta … t-of-fans/

If I'd get a 3rd gen console, it'd be a XBox 360. Definately.

I've always been happy with my XBox and I wouldn't mind having a 360.

But  I still want a car in a year or two tongue

Rickard wrote:

That Gears of War just looks so pretty.

It really didn't look as good as I'd expected, but the gameplay is just amazing smile

Kato wrote:

Actually, my wife and I only had to wait 13 and a half hours in line to get ours at midnight. We were one of the first 20 people (our Wal-Mart only got 20 units and we were number 18 in line so a LOT of people got turned around to find other stores to camp and wait in line) in our town to buy it, take it home and play it until all the other stores opened up the next morning big_smile  And yes, when we finally got home around 1am, we got it online, made our Mii's and checked out the Virtual Console and then played Wii Sports till 5:30am.

My brother told me about a few of his friends who camped out at Target to buy PS3s, all of whom planned to sell them immediately on eBay. One of them had actually paid someone else $300 for his spot in line. yikes

But geez, I thought I was being brave waking up at 4 AM to go to Fry's Electronics on Black Friday. I guess not. wink

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:
Kato wrote:

Actually, my wife and I only had to wait 13 and a half hours in line to get ours at midnight. We were one of the first 20 people (our Wal-Mart only got 20 units and we were number 18 in line so a LOT of people got turned around to find other stores to camp and wait in line) in our town to buy it, take it home and play it until all the other stores opened up the next morning big_smile  And yes, when we finally got home around 1am, we got it online, made our Mii's and checked out the Virtual Console and then played Wii Sports till 5:30am.

My brother told me about a few of his friends who camped out at Target to buy PS3s, all of whom planned to sell them immediately on eBay. One of them had actually paid someone else $300 for his spot in line. yikes

But geez, I thought I was being brave waking up at 4 AM to go to Fry's Electronics on Black Friday. I guess not. wink

Yes, the guy that was first in line for the Wii at our Wal-Mart had spent close to 4 days straight at Wal-Mart.  He first camped out the PS3 and after he got it, he sent it home with his brother (not sure if he was selling it or not, but I think he was one of the very few keeping it play it) and he stayed at Wal-Mart and started the line for the Wii.  No shower in close to 4 days a little much for me.  I don't even like going one day without a shower.

Wii looks nice, and I'd want it mostly for the new Legend of Zelda. Too bad it gets quite expensive here in Finland: The console ?269.90 + a game ?69.90 = ?339.80 ($452,64). And if I want an extra controller (who wouldn't want to play it with friends?), that's ?49.90 (or ?77.80 if I want the nunchuck too) == ?389.70 ($519.12). You'd get a pretty good PC (without a monitor) here with that money. hmm

Just saw screenshots of Yellow Dog Linux running Enlightenment DR17 on a PS3.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/e17/

So I'm starting to lean on waiting for a PS3, surfing the web with Firefox on my LCD TV appeals to me.

Jarkko wrote:

Wii looks nice, and I'd want it mostly for the new Legend of Zelda. Too bad it gets quite expensive here in Finland: The console ?269.90 + a game ?69.90 = ?339.80 ($452,64). And if I want an extra controller (who wouldn't want to play it with friends?), that's ?49.90 (or ?77.80 if I want the nunchuck too) == ?389.70 ($519.12). You'd get a pretty good PC (without a monitor) here with that money. hmm

LOL that was my excuse for not getting an xbox 360, so instead of getting a 400 dollar console I bought a  5,000 (USD) computer.

looks like I should have waited a year and gone w/ the ps3 instead.

20 (edited by CodeXP 2006-12-08 00:30)

hcgtv wrote:

Just saw screenshots of Yellow Dog Linux running Enlightenment DR17 on a PS3.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/e17/

So I'm starting to lean on waiting for a PS3, surfing the web with Firefox on my LCD TV appeals to me.

You know, you could also be surfing the web with the Wii using its native version of Opera, for almost 1/3 of the price of a PS3. If I ever get a PS3, it will not be until it gets some worthwhile games (it doesn't really have any at this point) and the price drops to the point where us mortal ones can afford one. There's no way in <bleep> I'm paying $600 for a console...ever. For that price, I could just as well buy both a Wii and a Xbox 360...or alternatively build a very nice HTPC. I'm finding if increasingly difficult to justify buying any game or audio related equipment from Sony lately, what with all their insane & arrogant statements/lies.

EDIT: Also, the $600 price isn't really what we'll be paying here in Euro-land either. I just checked Komplett.no, and converting the Norwegian price to green ones would equal over $900 USD

CodeXP, it's a very confusing time in the console wars and I do understand what you're saying. I may hold off for a while on getting a new console, my PS2 is doing just fine for now.

CodeXP wrote:

I'm finding if increasingly difficult to justify buying any game or audio related equipment from Sony lately, what with all their insane & arrogant statements/lies.

People say they're going downhill. Their other markets hasn't been very good lately. Maybe they are desperate?

Also remember that despise that insane price, they lose money on every sold unit tongue (That's not saying they aren't making money from licenses and other stuff, I'm talking hardware)

23 (edited by MadHatter 2006-12-08 01:48)

from a game developers (pc based game development) standpoint, microsoft and sony have flooded the game development world with their "easy to integrate" dev kits.  I haven't heard nor seen anything from nintendo, so from where I sit, wii seems like a novelty with xbox and playstation dug in deep.  It looks to me like nintendo is going to stick w/ the "only on nintendo" mantra, where the other 2 are providing console versions of normal pc games (which IMO is a pretty smart business move).

hcgtv wrote:

CodeXP, it's a very confusing time in the console wars and I do understand what you're saying. I may hold off for a while on getting a new console, my PS2 is doing just fine for now.

Yeah, it really is and with the prices being what they are today, I don't think waiting is a bad idea smile

Jansson wrote:

People say they're going downhill. Their other markets hasn't been very good lately. Maybe they are desperate?

Also remember that despise that insane price, they lose money on every sold unit tongue  (That's not saying they aren't making money from licenses and other stuff, I'm talking hardware)

I would think that the main reason for them loosing money on the PS3 is that they're trying to force a blu-ray player on people. Sure, I can see their reason for doing this as Sony is also making movies and are one of the larger companies behind the format, but for most people today (and even 5 years down the line) this is pretty pointless. Not only do we not know what format will "win" the next-gen DVD wars, but at least in Europe HDTV's are a hard sell as there are *very* few channels broadcasting in those formats, and proper HDTV's are still to expensive. I would have preferred it if they went the same path as Microsoft with their Xbox 360 and sold the player as an addon, thus reducing the price of the console itself.

CodeXP wrote:

I would have preferred it if they went the same path as Microsoft with their Xbox 360 and sold the player as an addon, thus reducing the price of the console itself.

I agree, forcing Blu-Ray on us is stupid.

I have an HDTV LCD TV and though it only goes up to 1080i, it's more than sufficient for my needs. Whatever broadcasts in High Defnition that there are, not that many at present, they look great. Sports are better served at 720p, or else you get jaggies on screen. In the states, ESPN has really got it together in this regard.

I spent months on the AVSforum and decided that 1080p wasn't worth the jump in price. I've seen a Blu-Ray disk in action at Best Buy and honestly, I don't see it worth 1000's for the pleasure.